Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_izbccns wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Chris-1235 OP t1_izbcefj wrote

The little chopper that could.

Fraun_Pollen t1_izbel3x wrote

New record was reaching an altitude of 46 feet (14 meters) and traveling a distance of 50ft over 52 seconds, beating its previous 18 second hop and hover.

Very cool!

Healthy-Review-7484 t1_izbjh5t wrote

I remember the first flight and how elated the Ingenuity team was. They must be insanely proud and looking to what is next and may be possible given what they are learning.

Fraun_Pollen t1_izbka9w wrote

We had no idea if the atmosphere was thick enough to even support rotor flight. When that chopper left the ground, it was a huge moment for our understanding of our capability for interplanetary colonization.

MackTuesday t1_izbksmm wrote

NASA Ingenuity helicopter just broke

:-(

one of its own records on Mars

:D

Doncharlos89 t1_izbnkmk wrote

I find these articles…unoriginal. The only device to ever fly on mars has “ONCE AGAIN SET A MARS WORLD RECORD! Ship that badboy another GOLD!”

−1

acute_elbows t1_izbswph wrote

Isn’t it the only helicopter ever on Mars? Seems like breaking record would be pretty easy.

Healthy-Review-7484 t1_izcc20d wrote

They thought that, due to significant differences, it may not work at all. The fact that it is working better than intended, by orders of magnitude, is why it is wonderful news. It is being tested in new ways that will teach us so much about the Martian surface.

Dcajunpimp t1_izekwmg wrote

So every time it flies another few centimeters or flies a few seconds longer it’s a new record?