Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Decent_Expression179 t1_j074suy wrote

Why are they calling it a vaccine? It doesn't prevent cancer. Once you get cancer they analyse the genetic signature of it, and create an Mrna shot which instructs your body to produce copies of this ?'toxin' which causes your immune system to build killer cells to eliminate it.

gmotelet t1_j0781jw wrote

From the CDC website

"Vaccine: A preparation that is used to stimulate the body's immune response against diseases"

This is exactly what it is doing. It doesn't matter that the disease is already there.

FastFingersDude t1_j08j7pn wrote

I hear their point. In general we talk about vaccines being taken before contracting a virus.

This seems more like a personalized treatment after contracting the virus. Most people would not refer to this as a vaccine.

−5

GLnoG t1_j08pj07 wrote

Well the definitions from the CDC that user provided clearly says that it is a vaccine, so idk why most people wouldn't refer to it as a vaccine.

fireisveryfun t1_j0921mq wrote

Redditors will argue semantics with the foremost experts on a topic. Someone could invent a warp drive tomorrow, host an AMA and theyll be flooded with "well acksually".

dylee27 t1_j08rsfc wrote

I think that just means the general public has a misconception of what the term vaccine covers. We should let experts correct our misconceptions, not the other way around.

FastFingersDude t1_j0a0x2v wrote

I’m not arguing that. I agree we should clear misconceptions.

My argument is, that I understand why OP posted their doubt. I consider myself pretty informed, and this is the first time ever I read of vaccines used as ‘treatment’ (“by stimulating the bodies immune response against diseases.”)

Would love to have more public clarity on this, especially as mRNA vaccines become more commonplace.

Irrepressible_Monkey t1_j0h7lzh wrote

It's less common for the vaccine to come after the disease but it can happen. The best example I know is that the rabies vaccine is still effective for a certain amount of time after someone has been exposed to the virus.

FastFingersDude t1_j0hjb5u wrote

Interesting. Helpful reply.

Irrepressible_Monkey t1_j0lpeyj wrote

Thanks. I'd agree it'd be very bad for people to get the general idea they can have a vaccine after infection, though, when it's too late usually. A lot of people hospitalised with COVID asked for it, for example.

Something else that wasn't widely pointed out is having a vaccine too soon after a COVID infection can cause a very strong reaction, which can then cause people to avoid getting more vaccinations.

We do indeed need more public clarity, as you say.

bofh000 t1_j07kj58 wrote

Many vaccines don’t PREVENT you from being infected by their target virus, they just teach your nudo to respond to it so that the disease severity is negligible.

eburton555 t1_j07s1lx wrote

Vaccines don’t have to function preventively by definition.

BaconRaven t1_j09akd9 wrote

I just hope it being called a vaccine causes certain vaccine doubters to skip the treatment

Blue_Sway t1_j07j519 wrote

Three vaccine also doesn't prevent covid. It's probably closer related the the type of medicine and the way it's given.