Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Amdy_vill t1_j0ekfm0 wrote

Yeah so like I getvthat pet shops are fucking terrible. But I feel the better solution is actual regulation not just banning it and moving to puppy mills and local breeders.

King_Dead t1_j0f9ysm wrote

No, pet rabbit sales should definitely be banned. Even breeders do a better job of determining who is actually capable of taking care of a rabbit than a pet store. I also think the pet stores that actually do still sell them do a shit job of taking care of them

ScreamingPhist OP t1_j0h8clk wrote

> But I feel the better solution is actual regulation not just banning it and moving to puppy mills and local breeders.

Where do you think those retailers were getting their pets from in the first place? This law eliminates a huge market for puppy mills. It forces people to either adopt from the overcrowded shelter system or go out of state.

Tracedinair76 t1_j0h7v17 wrote

I think you are right the problem is that would need to be federal regulation because these animals come from all over and she only jurisdiction inside NY. I think this is a pragmatic response and I'm sure it is going to hurt anyone too badly.

Falom t1_j0dzohw wrote

PerSmart quaking in their boots rn

Balogne t1_j0e7icp wrote

PetSmart doesn’t sell any of the animals listed in the title. Source, I worked for them for 10 years. The closest you can get is a Guinea pig. Any dogs or cats are adopted from adoption groups that PetSmart works with.

[deleted] t1_j0e8t0r wrote

[deleted]

−4

brett1081 t1_j0enwyo wrote

Yeah they don’t sell them. Have you been in a Petsmart?

ilovesckingcck369 t1_j0hexaj wrote

If you pay for it, it is a sale. Period. They can say adopt all they want. If a person comes up to you and sells you a condom and then gives you the ability to try it out with them, then you will be arrested for various charges to include prostitution.

−1

brett1081 t1_j0htbka wrote

Once again have you been in a Petsmart? The animals they have there are being adopted by other organizations. You can’t go in there and buy a cat from Petsmart. You can go in there and call an organization that has an animal housed there and adopt/ buy from them. Petsmart isn’t actually selling any of them.

Your response tells me you haven’t actually purchase one of these animals from them. Because you can’t.

ilovesckingcck369 t1_j0ia0j5 wrote

I got one of my cats from Pet Smart. He was $175...oh wait I mean paying for all the shots and neautering and stuff came to that.

Kelend t1_j0ihlxe wrote

Yeah... it costs that much to rescue an animal.

My girlfriend recently got two cats from a local shelter, ran over 200 for both.

[deleted] t1_j0eo33e wrote

[deleted]

−2

SilverNicktail t1_j0e13xq wrote

Excellent news. Now, if only we can get humans to apply the principle of "adopt, don't shop" to other humans...

(Well, I suppose in that case it would be "adopt, don't breed", but you get the idea.)

BillDauterive4 t1_j0ed3h6 wrote

Best of luck doing so- seriously. Humans (sadly) easily overlook the fact that millions of cats and dogs are put to sleep in shelters in this country every year, if the accessory pet they want is purchase-only.

VLenin2291 t1_j0e8x04 wrote

“Adopt, don’t shop” would still be kinda applicable in parts of the world where human trafficking and outright slavery remain common

Kelend t1_j0ihtrd wrote

The adoption market has a shortage of babies.

Plenty of teenagers with mental health issues though.

Swordlord22 t1_j0eqlwl wrote

I’m stupid does this mean any store can’t sell a dog cat or rabbit? Like you have to go to some random person who has a bunch of animals?

monty_kurns t1_j0exgni wrote

I think they’re trying to focus on shelter adoption over targeted breeding.

clon2645 t1_j0en1s1 wrote

I think there should be tighter regulations, not banning

TheBlackHock t1_j0h5zww wrote

Looks like NY will be a large importer of dogs in the near future! While we’ll intentioned, stuff like this lacks much bite when someone can drive an hour and have totally separate laws apply to their purchase.

ballrus_walsack t1_j0f9kt2 wrote

Great! Now sign “freelance isn’t free” into state law!

oh_crap_ t1_j0h6hlw wrote

Why not include pet rats as well? Rat Lives Matter too

AutoModerator t1_j0dzfxp wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Unlucky-Steak661 t1_j0rtt8b wrote

If anyone confuses Hochul as smart let me know, she is as thick as a piece of wood. I don't think pet stores are the least of our problems in this state. Maybe someone on her staff can point her in the right direction.

FleetOfClairvoyance t1_j0ehwpn wrote

I’ve never understood buying animals from pet stores. Maybe fish or reptiles, but why not just go to a reputable breeder if you’re going to buy a dog

−2

ronnyFUT t1_j0ekynt wrote

“Reputable breeder”

Thats a funny joke😅

The point is that no one should be profiting off forced animal breeding. Including retailers and individual breeders.

−3

stellaluna92 t1_j0f4nrf wrote

I'm not sure what you're getting at.. there are reputable, ethical breeders of dogs. They're a viable option if you want a dog. Sure adoption is great but it's not for everyone for various reasons. The most prominent one I can think of being that all of my local shelters have nothing but pitbulls and I don't want one.

WombatGuts t1_j0fsr76 wrote

What normally happens with prohibition?

Hmmm

−3

GabuEx t1_j0fvy67 wrote

This isn't banning people from getting cats and dogs, it's encouraging them to go to shelters, which is a good thing.

CurrentQuarter8791 t1_j0et94h wrote

Don't you mean People meaning: a person place or thing.

Humans: a living breathing organism.

−5