Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Amdy_vill t1_j0ekfm0 wrote

Yeah so like I getvthat pet shops are fucking terrible. But I feel the better solution is actual regulation not just banning it and moving to puppy mills and local breeders.

King_Dead t1_j0f9ysm wrote

No, pet rabbit sales should definitely be banned. Even breeders do a better job of determining who is actually capable of taking care of a rabbit than a pet store. I also think the pet stores that actually do still sell them do a shit job of taking care of them

ScreamingPhist OP t1_j0h8clk wrote

> But I feel the better solution is actual regulation not just banning it and moving to puppy mills and local breeders.

Where do you think those retailers were getting their pets from in the first place? This law eliminates a huge market for puppy mills. It forces people to either adopt from the overcrowded shelter system or go out of state.

Tracedinair76 t1_j0h7v17 wrote

I think you are right the problem is that would need to be federal regulation because these animals come from all over and she only jurisdiction inside NY. I think this is a pragmatic response and I'm sure it is going to hurt anyone too badly.