Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sjpllyon t1_j0tvamb wrote

I grew up in Spain. People never cared about this in the first place, not in a native way. They just didn't care if a boy played with dolls or a girl with cars. If a guy wanted to do girly things he could, and vice versa. This was in a small very traditional village. All the cared about was being happy and living a good life. The only judged you based on your personality, and your actions. They helped people in need without thought.

Very least that was my experience of the country.

bofh000 t1_j0uv9la wrote

You must have had a happy, carefree childhood. Unfortunately it’s not the norm. Not in Spain and not in many other places. One kid at my son’s school made fun of a colleague’s football trainers because they were “girls’ shoes” because they were black with orange thread. And the football kid never wanted to wear those (quite expensive) shoes ever again.

In kindergarten we made them medieval knight’s costumes from those special plastic bags that look like trash bags … some of the boys got a pink tunic with red or blue, or purple or green accents … we mixed the colors randomly. None of the kids had problems with that. But one dad did and said we either gave his son a different color tunic or he’s not walking in the carnival parade. It was quite shitty and we would’ve held our ground to prove to him that he was being ridiculous, but for the kid’s sake we have in and gave him an orange tunic. It’s been a few years and so far none of the kids who wore pink have turned into girls or whatever ridiculous notion that fool had.

Most of the girls’ clothing are just variations of white, pink and purple and very few don’t have something sparkly or glittery or with tule.

The thing is the majority of girls are more drawn to pink and sparkly and the boys to more sporty stuff, but for anyone not into those very specific and limiting tastes there’s no options.