Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sushiisawesome3 t1_j1kn3py wrote

I am Asian so I will refer to them as Native Americans

Drahgonfly t1_j1kn5jt wrote

No you will refer to them as indigenous as well unless they tell you different. šŸ¤”

−19

OakintheMist42 t1_j1ks5le wrote

And you will refer to white people as Anglo or Caucasian, unless they tell you otherwise.

Do you see how pompous that sounds? Native American isn't even derogatory. Are you one of those people that refer to us Mexicans as Latin-x also

Drahgonfly t1_j1ks79q wrote

Iā€™m indigenous. I wonā€™t refer to them as anything other than settlers.

−6

Dunesday_JK t1_j1ky05r wrote

Iā€™m Native American and couldnā€™t care less if Iā€™m called that. Itā€™s not derogatory in any way and such a silly thing to complain about.

Drahgonfly t1_j1kzpkg wrote

Itā€™s bothersome to me Iā€™m allowed to have an opinion.

existdetective t1_j1kubkw wrote

Says who? The proper word for any people is the word they want used for themselves.

That varies across the land.

Here in Alaska, the ā€œindigenousā€ people refer to themselves as ā€œtribesā€ and the term here is Alaska Native when distinguishing from the non-indigenous settler colonists of any other origin. Someone born in Alaska is a native Alaskan; someone belonging to our indigenous groups is Alaska Native.

The people here identify themselves by their own tribes/villages/regions which roughly correlate to unique language groups or to geographic features. The proper term is provided by the person/group.

White people call the Interior Alaska people ā€œAthabascanā€ while the people themselves call themselves ā€œDineā€ or ā€œKoyukonā€ or ā€œTanainaā€ and so forth.

When they want to draw attention to themselves as one group with common interests with other groups across the world, they may say Indigenous or First Nations or American Indian/Alaska Native. Generally, I follow whatever conventions are given to me by the person in front of me.