Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ethot_thoughts t1_j1kjotv wrote

"The dog daycare averages about 80 canine clients a day and currently has 16 unpaid adult "interns" with special needs, ages 18 to 65. The team helps the kennel's staff groom and clean up after the dogs while interacting with the animals and their community."

Unpaid labor leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's very common for businesses to hire special needs individuals because it's legal to pay them less....

LuckyTreefingers t1_j1l1tkk wrote

Yeah this is exploitation of disabled people foresure. But unfortunately in America, if they make the slightest bit of money they loose their SSDI. Which is crucial if they have a hard time keeping a job. The system is fucked.

Crede777 t1_j1lwshs wrote

This is a common misconception. While working a job CAN cause you to no longer be eligible to earn SSDI, it isn't always the case.

I would check with an attorney first, though, to make sure you are in the clear. Many law schools have free legal clinics which can advise on SSDI eligibility.

LuckyTreefingers t1_j1m0j8s wrote

I have family that receives SSDI for their mental development disabilities. It’s absolutely true and when they can get a job, they have to get it under the table. It sucks because it really helps with their social skills and generally makes them happier when they feel apart of something. SSDI has some crazy limits on what you can earn.

nostep-onsnek t1_j1l25b3 wrote

I don't how it is in Ohio, but where I live, the state subsidizes the wages of certain disabled employees so they can still keep their job and earn a real wage when a business can't afford to fully fund a less productive worker.

And where I live is Texas. I really didn't think it got much worse than Texas.

IambicPentakill t1_j1l34uk wrote

You get that the people are like students, not employees, right?

−15

Jiktten t1_j1lesgw wrote

Unless they are working towards a named degree or qualification, and the dog people are giving them special tutoring related to that which they would not give to other workers, then these people are just workers and deserve to be paid accordingly.