Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BigGreenBallOfLuck t1_j3spmu0 wrote

I heard this news 20 years ago saying the same thing.

nolongerbanned99 t1_j3ua8bc wrote

Well, if you heard the same thing 20 years ago then we will have to wait another 20 years or so to see if it was accurate or not. Please use reminder bot.

Carastarr t1_j3v54ns wrote

Remind me! 20 years

RemindMeBot t1_j3v56i4 wrote

I will be messaging you in 20 years on 2043-01-11 07:11:03 UTC to remind you of this link

41 OTHERS CLICKED THIS LINK to send a PM to also be reminded and to reduce spam.

^(Parent commenter can ) ^(delete this message to hide from others.)

^(Info) ^(Custom) ^(Your Reminders) ^(Feedback)

SuchSalad4 t1_j3v9o70 wrote

May you still be in operation by then. I do imagine your owner wearing a one piece aluminium shiny suit though.

pzelenovic t1_j3v5lee wrote

Message me as well please.

[deleted] t1_j3vbt24 wrote

[deleted]

alwaysmyfault t1_j3w0u3x wrote

I can imagine your confusion 20 years from now wondering wtf this remindme bot is harassing you for

interstat t1_j3tv808 wrote

Weird. I kept hearing 10 years ago we were past the point of return and it's over

CheesyBurgs t1_j3tzeq5 wrote

What you heard was green house gasses/ global warming caused by industrial farming, logging & crude oil dependency. The deterioration of Ozone is the result of using CFC from spray cans, Ozone deterioration mostly causes UV poisoning as there is no filter from the sunlight

nolongerbanned99 t1_j3uaem1 wrote

So is it true. Is it gonna repair itself. And we’re spray cans the main cause. Educate me plz

CheesyBurgs t1_j3uf6p6 wrote

Yes, Ozone repairs itself through simple gravitational forces and atmospheric air composition’s (mostly oxygen) reaction to Sunlight. We have banned commercial CFC usage almost universally for over two decades now. Scientific documents are available all over the net with simple searches. Left over CFC still contributes to global warming but only a small part.

Smallmyfunger t1_j3ve8p1 wrote

Pretty sure that's why "freon" being used as a refridgerant was discontinued/switched to R134 etc., and automotive paint switched to water-based.

Ch0senjuan t1_j3vnbmf wrote

R-22 discontinued as well for stuff like R-410A.

I just wanted to sound smart :P

nolongerbanned99 t1_j3ufmyl wrote

That’s cool. Some good news for a change on the environmental front.

pzelenovic t1_j3v5j4v wrote

Yes. Additionally, we came up with a sign "?" that indicates that the immediate sentence before it was a question. It's a nifty new feature of the language, still in beta testing phase, and we would like to hear your thoughts about it.

−20

nolongerbanned99 t1_j3x99py wrote

Wow. This is great. Let’s me try it. Does this newfangled thin work??

YellowGreenPanther t1_j3x0ab5 wrote

There is no point of no return, as long as civilisation isn't dead, any long-term improvement is a good improvement.

Though a silly amount of people don't think about the long-term, from politicians, to CEOs, to politic-haters, to people who take sides.

BackFromTheDeadSoon t1_j3w16un wrote

You're confusing the ozone layer with global warming. Nothing to do with each other.

ARX7 t1_j3vrfb2 wrote

Need china to stop using cfcs and claiming not to be....

YellowGreenPanther t1_j3wzvtl wrote

Now they are actually legislating to start the phasing out of HFCs.

BigGreenBallOfLuck t1_j3x0dew wrote

Yeah yeah yeah. I'll believe it when I see it. We get told to do one thing and big corporations are allowed to do another, all for the glory of the coin. Sorry if I seem cynical but I've heard and been fed nothing but lies from those in power. Nothing will change. No one seems to care as long as their 'bubbles' aren't popped.

Shackdaddy161 t1_j4a3vy9 wrote

Beat the big problems into the the little people. Rules for thee not for me.