Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pyrrhios t1_j5k81uu wrote

Isn't that really the point, though? That it doesn't last? There's probably a need to improve that shelf life, but ultimately I don't see a way to get out of the cost for storage and recycling being higher, but that's because it actually uncovering some of the hidden costs of environmental damage of plastics.

thinkmatt t1_j5kedwj wrote

Yea this could be very useful in things like food containers where the contents don't even let 6-8 weeks

Allmightydohllah t1_j5kfqr4 wrote

Yeah food titans like Tyson and McDonald's could easily use this in their operations

aeroboost t1_j5kc9u6 wrote

That's literally why they're looking for a replacement for plastic. It's now in food we eat because that shit lasts forever💀💀

Bluestripedshirt t1_j5kr4hb wrote

Sure. The issue is that the entire industry currently relies on huge stores of cheap inventory. Turning this into just in time will be a logistics challenge and one that won’t happen quickly.

Meraline t1_j5l9dau wrote

I can instantly think that this would be perfect for disposable water bottles.

hydralisk_hydrawife t1_j5lfizv wrote

It's not the point but it's definitely a factor. Imagine your warehouse having some liquid all over the floor and a good chunk of the product because this algae plastic degraded early. If it hurts the bottom line, companies won't switch easily, which means this tech won't have much of an impact.

If it even so much as just "doesn't hurt the bottom line" companies will gladly switch and tout their eco friendly products.

pyrrhios t1_j5lgq10 wrote

We're probably going to need to add a petroleum tax and/or fossil fuel tax to make up for the hidden costs of continuing to use oil-based plastics and fossil fuels. Eliminating subsidies for oil and coal companies would also help.

hydralisk_hydrawife t1_j5lkww2 wrote

Agreeeeed. There are hidden costs to these pollutants but they aren't on the bottom line. Let's PUT THEM THERE.

willstr1 t1_j5lsqmd wrote

A faster decomp than plastic is absolutely a win but less than a year would make it almost entirely worthless. By the time it gets from the factory to the consumer it will probably already be falling apart

dustofdeath t1_j5lyb1m wrote

You can't stockpile it either in a factory.

You would need direct feed from plastic manufacturer to your packaging line with no caps, breaks or supply issues.

pyrrhios t1_j5m19ax wrote

So yes, we need to figure out how to improve shelf life.

Physical_Average_793 t1_j5m6dv0 wrote

I would want the plastic furniture on my firearms to work so I don’t yknow get hurt

But good idea for like packaging for fresh meats and mail

pyrrhios t1_j5ox72q wrote

In my mind the idea is simply to move away from coal, oil and gas as our primary sources of energy and materials. They don't need to go away completely as long as we develop enough methods and means to offset their use and start undoing the damage we've already done.