Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HelpMeImThicc t1_j5r0z1t wrote

Veteran here, we know. Political ideologies are different depending on which service you are in, infantry Marines seem the most right leaning and support roles in the Air Force seem the most left leaning in my personal experience. I was in the Navy and I knew a bare handful of folks in my years in the service that were joining up for patriotism, actually the majority was trying to get free college and that's one of the reasons why I don't think the U.S. Government would ever make college free anytime soon because there goes the majority of service members.

I will agree with you healthcare sucks, I'm a disabled veteran and my healthcare is bureaucratic as all get out. I've been waiting about 8 months for a therapist and 3 months for an x-ray for my back because my sciatic nerve is being pinched. I'm not even 30 yet.

Also active duty folks already know they are expendable, when I was active duty I had a "manager" that told my division that it doesn't matter how shit we are at our jobs since new replacements come every friday. Friday is the day at least one class of boot camp class graduates.

Doomgloomya t1_j5rd2bx wrote

Active duty know they are expndable but its the people that are being recruited who dont realize just how expendable. Recruiters LOOOVE being in underprivilaged highschools and community college preying on lower income people that want a better life.

What better place then using the poor to fill the ranks.

I work 911 and am always saddended by all the homeless VAs that choose to be homeless because its honestly easier for them. Neglected and forgotten so many of our soldiers.

CyanideTacoZ t1_j5t0f64 wrote

I went to a middle class highschool and didn't hey approached once. went to a community College in a lower tax bracket area due to the drive bieng easy and suddenly I've batted off the same recruiter 4 fucking times. I am mentally ill, and physically unfit. I couldn't join if I wanted to. one of my friends with what is clearly undiagnosed depression and bieng about 10 lbs underweight was recruited for the marines.

I can respect some officers and all the enlisted. but the generals and the recruiters are all scumbags directly perpetuating our broken system.

Ebola-Kun t1_j5tuhzx wrote

It's still a choice for them though. No one is forcing them to get on the bus, hell I wish I joined right out of high school instead of waiting to do my 4.

Doomgloomya t1_j5u8x99 wrote

I agree it is 100% their choice. But it's not a great choice for many. People are stuck between a rock and a hard place in order to get the benefits of higher education and if they get through those 4 years and are left with mental scars the government barley provides anything for them.

That is my biggest gripe with it. If Vets were provided with the ample amount of benefits that they deserve after being mentally or physically crippled then joining the military makes a lot of sense. Obviously vets that came back without long lasting effects are doing just fine. Whether that's because they never saw active service or they are able to manage the stress thrown at them then the benefits make sense.

Teadrunkest t1_j5shd24 wrote

Idk why this myth is pervasive. Recruiters do not “love” low income neighborhoods and schools. The overlap of “downsides of poverty” and “things that will disqualify recruits” is almost a complete circle. Health issues exacerbated to chronic conditions because of poor health care, poor fitness and weight issues, increased rate of criminal records, lowered rate of high school graduation, scoring poorly on the entrance test, etc etc. All disqualifying.

US military recruits are underrepresented in regards to the poorest and richest percentiles, and overrepresented by the middle class.

−6

Doomgloomya t1_j5ssz1g wrote

I did not state lower income neighborhoods only under privileged as it is a better blanket statement because I consider lower middle class in this as well.

The most enticing offer the military for free education is obviously a ploy to attract people from families that are not that well off ( well off as in the family is able to provide for the child through out 4 years of college without the child also needing a job to supplement).

At any private school or at least upper middle class to upper class school army officers are non existent at jobs fairs. Why is that? Obviously because the military provides no benefits to them.

Our military preys on the future generations of our society by offering them hope without showing just how transparent their support of veterans are after they been put to use. Staying in the military grants better medical benefits then after you get out because ( gotta keep their meat bags in tip top shape) why should the government care about you after you have lost your usefulness. After people have fought and lost for our country.