Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

anomaly0617 t1_j5rlfkn wrote

You don’t have to get a dishonorable discharge to be ineligible. There’s (at least) two ways you can be ineligible:

1. you received a discharge like a “general under honorable” discharge. This means you did nothing illegal, but for one reason or another you needed out before your contract was up. The military, especially the navy, drums people out of the service with these all the time, and they didn’t do anything wrong - just ended up in a situation where they were no longer able to serve in their role.

2. When you go to the VA, they have to “attach” you to a program. So, for instance, you were stationed in the Southeast Asia region between date X and date Y.” If they cannot find a “program” that you qualify for, you get no benefits.

daveashaw t1_j5rtf5h wrote

Right. This is an enormous issue because many who develop psych issues in the military wind up with general discharges, so the ones who have the greatest need for those services are cut off from them.

Ihavntgotaclue t1_j5rnzpz wrote

I was not aware of those stipulations. I always thought it was just, (only) dishonorable = no assistance. I appreciate the education on the topic. Thank you.

heresmyownthrowaway t1_j5s5huk wrote

I always thought you needed at least ~25% disability to get full coverage or retired along with being honorably discharged, no one really tells you that but I believe my nurse explained it to me at the VA.

WarmOutOfTheDryer t1_j5tc9he wrote

At mine, it's 10%. The only source for that is that I'm 10% disabled and get care though, so maybe I'm just really lucky?

187penguin t1_j5umtt1 wrote

I was told all you have to do is claim your tinnitus and you will be given an auto 10%. And trust me… ALL us vets have it. Apparently many people have had success with this.

187penguin t1_j5ummmw wrote

I’m 0% and they took and are treating me for $0

heresmyownthrowaway t1_j5unf8x wrote

Dang that’s wild, I actually remembered my buddy saying he didn’t have VA care because he had 0% even with honorable. They should probably put that info out there better haha

187penguin t1_j5uowy3 wrote

I began my process about 2 months ago. Stuff might have changed. If nothing else, tell him just go to the VA website and “start a claim” and put tinnitus. I promise you he has it. We all got it. It’s an automatic 10%