Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

187penguin t1_j5rv5nu wrote

I kinda think they are. I was honorably discharged and don’t have any type of disability rating. All I did was show up at the enrollment office at the VA and said I wanted to apply for healthcare. They sat me down, confirmed my service record, took my picture for an ID card, and assigned me to a PCP & scheduled my first appointment and lab work. They were super friendly and helpful. I was in and out in about 20 minutes. I was surprised because I had been discharged over 10 years prior, but apparently there is no limit on when you can claim medical benefits. I had my lab work and appointment. The staff was incredibly friendly, and the first thing they did was enroll me in a VA messaging app and give me direct points of contact for everyone dealing directly with my health care. I can directly message my doctor, or anyone on his staff 24/7 and get a response typically same day. The nurse was very kind and asked me ALOT of question, many of them were mental health related. It got a little intense, but everything was very tactful and respectful. Then when I went in to see the doctor for my initial annual physical. I was in there with him for nearly an hour. He is a very kind man and wanted to know absolutely everything I was willing to tell him. Never felt rushed and he gave me his full attention the whole time.

My biggest problem is knee pain (I was a 19D SAW gunner). They ordered about a dozen X-rays and gave me 2 prescriptions for topical pain medications, some knee compression sleeves and a TENS unit and referred me to physical therapy, along with scheduling my next annual checkup and bloodwork. The whole thing took about 4 hours with labs, X-rays and all. After I do the 2 months of PT, they will send me for an MRI and refer me to an orthopedic surgeon if PT isn’t cutting it.

Everything so far has been $0. Oh and they STRONGLY encouraged me to file a disability claim. I have some major reservations about that, but they told me that filing for VA disability is not exactly how it sounds. I’m not interested in scamming the system when I have wounded friends that are dependent on that system. They told me it’s not like being a Social Security disability moocher or anything like that. They put me into contact with a veterans advocate that will basically handle the whole process for me.

I see a lot of other redditors making snide remarks about veterans care, but I’m guessing most have zero recent first-hand experience. I know from talking to the old-timers that the VA was terrible years back, but so far I’ve been really impressed and wish I had done this sooner.

cocaineandwaffles1 t1_j5s4bx8 wrote

Bro get that rating. My knees hurt after just a short and easy run (2-3 miles at maybe a 9 minute pace). My stomach will randomly decide to just immediately shit out what I eat. And my shoulder hurts after just turning a screw driver a few times. I’m still young, I’m still fit, not overweight, but I still have these issues. These issues will be a factor I have to consider when I get out, go to school, and even after I get my degree and work the job I want. So you got me fucked up if you expect me to not go after the proper rating I deserve for these issues the military gave me, and you should feel the same way for yourself. I understand the reservations you’re having because you have friends who have their injuries from being deployed, but get that rating. Use that money to open a savings account for your kids or nieces or nephews. Use it to make monthly donations to charities that actually help vets. Fuck toss it to homeless that claim to be veterans. You don’t have to spend that money on yourself and you’re not taking any money from anyone else who has a VA disability rating.

Pethoarder4life t1_j5td7ks wrote

It really, really depends on location. I've been working with a family member for years with his VA and it's a shit show. He needs a social worker right now and I was calling to get access for him. It took me between five and ten phone calls over the span of a week to finally get transferred to the right department only to be told the waiting list is massive.

The worst part was the first phone call. He acted really friendly, but proceeded to lecture me on how the VA never denies any veteran. It took me 20 minutes to get the guy to answer one fucking question because he wanted to get whatever his speech was all the way out. After I finally got the appointment scheduled at the end of the week, it turned out every single thing that first person told me was completely incorrect and was the reason it took as long as it did to get information.

I had quite a few colleagues working mental health at the VA in the early '00s. By 2008 all of them had their jobs removed by the VA they were working at because of budget cuts. It was so sad knowing thousands of vets lost mental health care.

I hope the new policies continue to grow and help, but it's really heartbreaking seeing so many people suffer.

Chicero t1_j5tmg6q wrote

I worked with a VA outpatient clinic at a previous job. This sounds exactly right to me. They actually receive funding based off number of vets, not amount of care, so they’ll do whatever they can to help you sign up. They’re usually a small doctors office and maybe some therapist offices, but at least that gets you in the door in your area.

But bigger stuff that you need to get into the main hospital, I believe that’s where there is still a major backlog of patients. Covid didn’t help I know that.

187penguin t1_j5ul7hl wrote

I signed up at the main hospital in Temple, TX if that helps