Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

magical_seal t1_jcujnbw wrote

Love it there :)

WordierThanThou OP t1_jcurkx0 wrote

It’s absolutely breathtaking! I went on a day trip. Next time, I’ll visit some of the other islands.

PenName t1_jcw845u wrote

It's a magical place! Come share your pics and experiences with the community on /r/sanjuanislands too. I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

Nightwolf2142 t1_jcuo3t4 wrote

I was there just last Wednesday with my wife. Absolutely gorgeous views. Didn't see any whales though.

WordierThanThou OP t1_jcur6o2 wrote

I was there Tuesday, didn’t see any whales either. Next time, I’ll take a whale watching tour.

shinygemz t1_jcvm8fd wrote

I’ve spent a day up here and down below the other side on the beach . Beautiful place !

deepfriedgum t1_jcv2llp wrote

A little bit north of there, near the actual kilns, there is a little ledge you can sit on overhanging a cove that is one of the most magical places you can be in the world.

Sea otters, whales, and the gentle noise of the tide on a sunny day.

People take it for granted, but that spot changed my life.

WindwardWanderer t1_jcun8it wrote

Beautiful spot. I spent a few hours looking for whales there.

I didn't see any whales but I love every minute!

aFlippantAmphibian t1_jcv71aq wrote

As someone who just hiked lime kiln trail, why were there lime kilns all the way out here??

Beautiful spot though

zstone t1_jcvwo8b wrote

Here you go!

tl;dr they were also mining the limestone there. The processed lime powder they made is a key ingredient in concrete, among other things. Humans have been using lime kilns to turn limestone into lime for over 12,000 years.

aFlippantAmphibian t1_jcvywjj wrote

Fantastic! Always entertaining to see the Pig war pop up, I remember being taught about it way back in the day.

It looks like the San Juan kilns were the big ones, largest lime kilns on the west coast according to that site. Many thanks!

40_lb t1_jcw3efh wrote

Roche Harbor lime rebuilt San Francisco after the big earthquake and fire

sabel123 t1_jcvjhwi wrote

There's something magical about that place.

WordierThanThou OP t1_jcvjldq wrote

I thought the same!

zstone t1_jcvxvty wrote

Especially the McMillan Mausoleum! The Lore podcast did a pretty cool episode about it.

WikiSummarizerBot t1_jcvxxbn wrote

Afterglow Vista

>Afterglow Vista (also known as the McMillin Memorial Mausoleum and Afterglow Mausoleum) is a mausoleum located in San Juan County, Washington, United States, near Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor. It is the final resting place of businessman John S. McMillin, his wife and children, and one of the family's employees. The design of the mausoleum incorporates numerous instances of symbolism, some of it Masonic in nature.

^([ )^(F.A.Q)^( | )^(Opt Out)^( | )^(Opt Out Of Subreddit)^( | )^(GitHub)^( ] Downvote to remove | v1.5)

know_not_much t1_jcvjd8g wrote

Was there last year. absolutely loved it!! Took almost identical picture :)

ASacredWorm t1_jcwln48 wrote

We went there to honor my mom on her birthday. She passed in December & we chose to place flowers in the water. She loved the ocean. Anyways, beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing.