Submitted by santanakrueger t3_yas6yc in Washington

Can any current students or recent grads (post 2017) speak on campus culture as of late? I remember being obsessed with the the idea of being a greener while in highschool and now wanting to further my education, evergreen is a obvious choice for me. Do you think there is likely to be another evergreen spring? Are racisim witch hunts, virtue signaling and victimhood olympics still prominent in acedmia?

27, married, fulltime employment, short commute if that's relevent as well

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Fox-and-Sons t1_itdnb62 wrote

I'm a little perplexed by the idea that you'd really want to go to Evergreen and you're concerned about those problems in academia. Like, you're talking about the most hippy dippy school in the state.

doktorhladnjak t1_itcxvc5 wrote

> racism witch hunts, virtue signaling and victimhood olympics

Turn off Fox News, and focus instead on furthering your education

ClimateChangeC t1_itda4g9 wrote

Cancel culture is still bad though (firing professors for saying that the BLMS movement is not the best)

doktorhladnjak t1_itdcek0 wrote

Skipping a degree because “cancel culture” exists is dumb. Most students are just taking classes, studying, living their lives. Even at schools where there is a lot of activism.

Candid-Mine5119 t1_itcnl04 wrote

I go back farther than 2017, but the vibe for evening/weekend students is not the same as the daytime

LoquatFederal t1_itczjgb wrote

The graduate programs are excellent.

[deleted] t1_itdqwki wrote

Let me rephrase this and see if it suits your actual motives and beliefs more:

"As a conservative, I believe that racism witch hunts, virtue signaling and victimhood olympics are prominent in academia. Is there an option for me in public higher education where my beliefs won't be challenged?"

Hint: It is not going to be the Evergreen State College, lol.

Marmotskinner t1_iterj8m wrote

Don’t waste your money. It’s a fucking ripoff. There is zero culture. The architecture is 1970’s garbage crap. Like concrete bunkers out of the Cold War. The degrees they pass out might as well be printed on toilet paper. You can literally get a BA in “comedy” by watching old VHS tapes of Richard Pryor.

Badger_phone t1_itf9ss6 wrote

Go to WSU, you’ll be a lot happier there