Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Humbugwombat t1_iufnfpa wrote

My father-in-law made a career out of maintaining trails at national parks. He has loads of “people need to realize they’re not at Disneyland” stories.

Kessynder t1_iugg452 wrote

Well call him up and give us a few. WTF is with this teasing man? Let's get this gossip train going!

Own-Pineapple2507 t1_iugrv5u wrote

We want the tea 🍵

Humbugwombat t1_iugt4jh wrote

Most of his stories were from his time at Grand Canyon and involve people falling down cliff faces when they cut switchbacks or get too close to the edge of a cliff while either trying to peer over the edge or pose for pictures. He also worked at Olympic and Volcano Nat. Parks where the same sort of thing happens on a regular basis.

The most tragic ones I can recall came not from the FIL, but from the MIL, who moved to West Yellowstone after they split up. Both involved dogs going where they shouldn’t and attempts by owners to rescue them.

In one, the dog walked over a crusted over mud flat. When the owner went to get him, his greater weight caused him to break through the crust. He died from third degree burns over most of his body not long after being rescued. The dog was never actually injured. In the other, the dog dove into a hot pool and the owner tried to rescue him. The guy was rescued but, like the last guy, had third degree burns over his entire body. He died a few days later. The dog was never found. Apparently bodies (human and animal) that go into the hot pools simply dissolve from the heat and high acidity.

When there’s a sign that says “don’t go here”, don’t go there. If your dog goes there, get a smarter dog. Better yet, leave them at home.

Whatever you do, don’t put the baby in a backpack and walk close to the drop-off of a high waterfall.

Oshunlove t1_iuipygp wrote

And this kid isn't even in a backpack! Edit: So fucked up.

iamlucky13 t1_iujzpm3 wrote

> Apparently bodies (human and animal) that go into the hot pools simply dissolve from the heat and high acidity.

I've heard a couple related stories. Here's one from July:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/yellowstone-foot-found-in-abyss-pool-hot-spring-linked-to-death/

I guess the shoe helped protect the foot.

Another case was in 2016 when a couple of adult siblings went looking for a hot springs to soak in. The brother climbed down to a pool to check the temperature, but slipped and fell in. His sister was filming him climbing down, and reportedly still had the video running as she tried to help him out.

In the end, there was nothing she could do but run to the nearest ranger station for help. By the time rangers arrived, he was, unsurprisingly, not responsive. They could not recover his body that evening, and when they returned the next day, there was no sign of him. They believed his body had already dissolved. They recorded the temperature of the pool as right around boiling. The park service thankfully declined to release the video his sister took.

That's a pretty grim reminder to respect the signs. He died a terrifying and painful death, and his sister undoubtedly had that scene burned into her memory.

dudinax t1_iugwxzr wrote

You guys don't clamber up the rocks above water falls?

−1

newt_girl t1_iui1v0s wrote

My partner and I had this discussion last night regarding this photo.

Yes, we do. I love going off trail and a good sporting adventure. But there is a time and place for it. And a popular tourist attraction at a National Park when there are other people around isn't the time or the place. Washington is full of wilderness to frolick in, leave the 'special' areas as they are.

iamlucky13 t1_iuk06nt wrote

My view is similar.

I visited Sol Duc Falls this summer, and easily concluded that as a highly trafficked area, it was not the place to explore. The traffic volume would affect the off-trail area heavily, and lot's of other people around who might not be as careful as I would. And most of the area around that particular waterfall is not forgiving.

Plus I had my kids with me.