Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

fuzzywuzzy1988 t1_iv6va1r wrote

They not as efficient in lower temperatures: Heat Pump Efficiency

−3

BarnabyWoods OP t1_iv70m8t wrote

Yeah, but they're still more efficient than conventional forced air. The best low-temp heat pumps are 188% efficient at 0 F.

PM_meyourGradyWhite t1_iv74ptt wrote

Efficiency and effectiveness are two different things.

darlantan t1_iv8aop7 wrote

Sure, and that was something that was a sticking point decades ago. Modern heat pumps work fine in conditions commonly found in WA, and that's before even looking at the geothermally sunk ones. It is a complete non-issue for them.

Literally the only downside to a good heat pump install is the up-front cost, and since it's new construction and there are big credits right now anyway, that's a no-brainer.

halfnelson t1_iv7lcx1 wrote

My heat pump is rated to -15f. It definitely worked a lot harder in the last big storm, but we were comfortable.

juiceboxzero t1_iv7wwdb wrote

Not as efficient...as what? That article doesn't compare to gas heating; only to itself at other temperatures, and to resistive electric (COP = 1).

Ulitmately, for most of Washington, the hours per year where the temperature is low enough for heat pumps to be unacceptably inefficient is quite small, and more than made up for by the rest of the year.

dontletgo13 t1_iv8em49 wrote

The technology is constantly improving. My company has started installing heat pumps that are effective well below zero.

fuzzywuzzy1988 t1_iv78ys3 wrote

A good article on the topic. Bottom line it looks like YMMV whether it’s a cost savings or not. Temps in the state vary widely so I could see how this will raise costs for many.

Consumer Reports article

−1

Hessper t1_iv8hvm7 wrote

Washington state is known for getting so very cold, this will be a real problem that will make heat pumps not a viable solution.

−3