Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

rosesandpiglets t1_j0zszcv wrote

Homesteading is rare west of the cascades, mostly because it is ridiculously expensive to buy land. I’d avoid most of the west side tbh.

pala4833 t1_j0zsglx wrote

Sir, this is a 2022.

nopefish83 t1_j0zxwzy wrote

You'd have more luck with this question over on r/homestead Best of luck in your adventure!

aj_thatdude t1_j0zxxuk wrote

New to WW, but I'd suppose it depends mainly on the animals you raise and crops you grow. So long as they can handle/thrive in a more moisture rich environment, you should be ok.

GoCougs2020 t1_j100eoy wrote

If you wanna buy land on the west. You gotta be willing to go north/south a bit. You’re not gonna be afford 10+ acre near Seattle/Bellevue (unless you’re some big baller?)

BarnabyWoods t1_j0zuf3l wrote

Homesteading? Do you mean staking a claim on public land and making it your own? You're a few decades too late. The last vestiges of the Homestead Act were repealed in 1976. If you want land you have to pay for it like everyone else.

−2

RinShimizu t1_j101jit wrote

In modern usage, Homesteading refers to self-sufficient living (i.e. growing/hunting your own food).

WikiSummarizerBot t1_j101lgf wrote

Homesteading

>Homesteading is a lifestyle of self-sufficiency. It is characterized by subsistence agriculture, home preservation of food, and may also involve the small scale production of textiles, clothing, and craft work for household use or sale. Pursued in different ways around the world—and in different historical eras—homesteading is generally differentiated from rural village or commune living by isolation (either socially or physically) of the homestead. Use of the term in the United States dates back to the Homestead Act (1862) and before.

^([ )^(F.A.Q)^( | )^(Opt Out)^( | )^(Opt Out Of Subreddit)^( | )^(GitHub)^( ] Downvote to remove | v1.5)