Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Rough_Theme_5289 t1_j1iql14 wrote

It’s common knowledge once you head east in our state that it gets … a lot more maga ish….

riannaearl t1_j1j50y8 wrote

There's more decent people out east than you'd think. Not all of us are inbred maga dumb dumbs. Those ones are just loud. I wish they'd shut the hell up and crawl into a hole, and stop voting against their own interests so we can start making some forward progress. It's exhausting.

andthedevilissix t1_j1jh3fp wrote

You can't persuade people if you don't understand them, and you can't understand them if you engage in thought terminating cliches like mentally inserting "voting against their own interests" instead of trying to understand what those people regard as their interests.

intention-and-focus t1_j1k2wt2 wrote

The outcome will not be decided by persuading right wing voters to vote left.

it’s won by persuading non-voters to vote. That, and waiting for the youth to outnumber the old.

andthedevilissix t1_j1l0hfn wrote

A significant number of people who voted for Obama later voted for Trump.

Lots of Kemp voters also voted against Walker.

And, even if people vote for politicians you disagree with, if you dont' understand their reasoning or their perspective there's no possibility of any policy compromise and the whole thing just becomes a shittier version of team sports.

Phuzi3 t1_j1jf48h wrote

I always find that an interesting concept.

How does being against more taxation, government control and spending, equate to “voting against their own interests”?

Gekokapowco t1_j1lg3q4 wrote

When problems that could be resolved by government spending come to pass, it's pretty embarrassing.

And it doesn't matter if your taxes are low if you work a brutal, unsafe labor job for pennies.

And the fact that there isn't a modern issue today that isn't caused or exacerbated by republicans and their donors. Which seems absurd to say but it's true.

Phuzi3 t1_j1pbn8c wrote

Infrastructure, like roads, bridges, highways and the like, are about the only places I’ve seen government dollars go to somewhat good use.

Having worked an unsafe, brutal, low wage labor job…yeah, I could have done much more with what money I had if taxes were lower. If sales and gas tax was lower, if property taxes were lower, so those increases weren’t passed on to the tenant. I actually kind of enjoyed that job, but I work a job I rather despise now, despite making over 4x the hourly rate with a union to, supposedly, have my back, and I took it because I couldn’t afford $10 an hour anymore.

Conservatives believe the individual makes their way. Leftists believe the government provides the way. There can be some overlap in how policy is applied, sure, but the worldview between the two camps is so vastly different, this hardly happens any longer.

cheekabowwow t1_j1lrfuo wrote

Because Reddit is an echo chamber and doesn’t represent the real world.

iFangy t1_j1q1y0r wrote

I don’t get why “voting against their interests” is supposed to be such a good point anyway. I don’t vote by interests, I vote by ideology. Probably the case for most people.

andthedevilissix t1_j1j91qj wrote

That's not really true.

I saw more trump 2020 signs in Bremerton and Kent than I do in Spokane.

idiot206 t1_j1l794s wrote

Spokane is larger than Bremerton and Kent, it’s the one exception in Eastern WA.

Generalbuttnaked69 t1_j1jxhyd wrote

Large swaths of western Washington are as red as eastern Washington, there’s a reason the Republican Party HQ is in Bellevue as opposed to somewhere over here.

As a life long eastern Washington democrat we just don’t matter much either way.