Submitted by ConsciousRelative968 t3_107qo7n in Washington

Hey all,

Thinking about furthering my education out in Washington. What are some great community colleges around Seattle or elsewhere? Looking for a school that has a great education and where I can transfer to a four year institution easily. Thanks!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Cuidado_roboto t1_j3nweo7 wrote

The entire cc system in WA is fantastic. Best value for your 2 year education imo. Depends on where you end up living though. Do you want to live in Seattle? Central or North Seattle are great. Out in the burbs? Shoreline or Edmonds are good. Wayyyyy up in Skagit or Bham? Skagit Valley or Whatcom. Good luck!

walterjohnhunt t1_j3nws6w wrote

I very much enjoyed South Puget Sound Community College out of Olympia, WA. They have a very simple program to transfer, too.

Brandowmayor t1_j3nwz7h wrote

Tacoma community college is solid and also very easy to transfer your credits to UW-Tacoma.

Anynameyouwantbaby t1_j3o0x1u wrote

Lake Washington Institute of Technology is fantastic! Nursing, Engineering and Gaming degrees, among many others.

They just received $1,000,000 from Patty Murray to put solar panels up. Once done, we'll be the most sustainable college in the system!

s1apadabass t1_j3o8umc wrote

Highline Community College is great! They have CWU on their campus as well and you can get your bachelors from them depending on your major.

Deprecitus t1_j3oi22x wrote

Depends on where you are exactly.

Everett Community College was great.

ahaadonut t1_j3op81p wrote

Any of them will work with you to help build a transcript that should transfer fairly easily to any Washington state 4-year too, if that is your plan. Having your AAS to transfer is pretty straight across if you don't have a lot of off the main track credits.

Admirable_Bag_1441 t1_j3oy3ye wrote

A lot of people have given great suggestions for community colleges.

One additional suggestion is to figure out which 4-year universities you’re interested in. A lot of communities college partner with in-state universities and have college admissions people on site as well as satellite campuses. They can help you figure out scholarships and tuition as well.

VGSchadenfreude t1_j3pextf wrote

Lake Washington Institute of Technology was pretty good. I liked that their 2-year accounting program didn’t completely segregate those trying to enter the workforce and those planning to transfer to a 4-year school.

Most community colleges in the Seattle area that I tried split the accounting classes very strictly, between “here’s the bare basics necessary to get shit done” versus “here’s what you need to know to understand it at a managerial or higher level.” You could only take one set of classes; if you were pursuing a technical degree, you were blocked from the second set of classes.

LWIT just had us do both for the A.A.S. degree.

Oh, and that degree is applied science rather than arts, which is nice.

Fox-and-Sons t1_j3pk1ke wrote

If your goal is just to transfer to UW or something then just go to whichever is convenient to you. There are a handful with cool short programs that are specific to them, like Walla Walla CC has a winemaking program, but if you're just looking for a pretty standard experience then they're all fine.

SpeedyWiggums t1_j3psbvy wrote

Green River College in Auburn. Had a positive experience there. Easy to transfer to university for engineering.

ColorTheSkyTieDye t1_j3riwga wrote

Shoreline community college is one of the best community colleges in the whole country. It would be a waste of money NOT to go there.

biceitidh t1_j3rx8z0 wrote

Olympic college in Bremerton was great I got my associates there.

ktcat146 t1_j3sfr9t wrote

I know it's a little far away but both Spokane Community College and Spokane Falls Community College are excellent and offer wonderful transfer degrees.

SarcasticServal t1_j3shw1y wrote

Bellevue College has both 2 year and a limited number of 4 year programs now.

sam-t-bloom t1_j3st049 wrote

Seattle Central College is located smack dab in the middle of Seattle with great transport options a block or less from the main campus building. All but one of the faculty i had classes with were great! There’s a transfer fair every quarter with schools from across the country and of course the state. Highly recommend if you’re in the Seattle area.

purpleDONKEY99 t1_j3xgeyl wrote

Seems like west side has been covered but on the central/east side has Columbia basin college - a 2 yr school with some 4yr degrees and a handful of certifications. They have onsite housing and cost of living is cheaper than Seattle area.

KeeganUniverse t1_j47c773 wrote

I highly recommend Everett CC as a great one. I went to EvCC and also UW and I thought the teachers at EvCC were excellent too. They also have a few universities with a campus at EvCC!