Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Spacemage t1_jb87oik wrote

Going off this comment, and tied to the comment I posted outside of this, one of the most important things for these shelters (which need to be permanent is) is having social workers on sight.

If people are causing problems, doing drugs (depending on the community structure), and not following rules, they get removed from the housing for someone else to have an opportunity.

Not every homeless person is going to be a good person. The same way not every middle class, tax paying, hard working citizen is going to be a good person. People are excellent at self preservation and understanding consequences, so if they know they'll lose their shelter and security, it's easier to dissuade people from being shit bags when they know they have expectations.

It's a shame the city is half assing this. We gave them the blue print in how to make this work, which research and evidence.

YoooJoee t1_jb89jgc wrote

I 100% agree. I know my comment might make it sounds like I’m against these kind of ideas, but I’m actually all for it. It just has to be right or it’ll just cause more problems later on.

Spacemage t1_jb9dhns wrote

Certainly, it must be done right or it can be a disaster. I didn't take your comment as being against it, honestly. I also know that given the opportunity for the situation to be done correctly, people end up being for it. It's a weird paradox.