Submitted by dupattaluella t3_126lgei in WorcesterMA

Original Post

First Update

TL;DR on links above: I thought NG was charging me for more kwh than we used. We had an older meter that we couldn't read and no one could explain how to read. Got the meter switched out so I could start keeping track. Also, bills with old meter showed "0 actual" for previous and current readings.

Now, to the update.

It took almost two months to finally get a bill with the new meter. February's bill was delayed due to the meter install (NG stated this when I called mid February). I got to see February's and March's bills last week.

The February bill was split between old meter and new meter, almost two weeks each split. The first split showed "0 actual" for the readings and the second showed estimated readings. The first split, old meter, was being assessed a 414kwh usage and the new meter was being assessed a 405kwh usage, so 819kwh in total. Even more than the January bill.

The March bill was super interesting. Again, estimated readings showing an estimated use of 301kwh. Somehow they think I used 819kwh in one month then only 301kwh the next month. I don't understand how this wasn't a flag for them.

I called CS and chatted about this then asked to dispute my bills along with every bill since January 2022 (that's all I have for hard copies and NG only keeps a years data online). The person I was xferred to for the dispute was rude. He asked why I think I was being overcharged. I explained I've been taking pictures of my meter since I got it installed and have factored out the averages and I'm using about 16kwh per day on average, which equates to about 480kwh per month, not the 800 I've been charged for.

He then asked me what proof I had. I explained why I had my meter switched out along with asking him what proof NG has of my usage since the bills show "0 actual" for previous and current readings and weren't estimates. I also explained no one knew how to read the old meter and I knew this because I asked for someone to come out and explain how to read it and they didn't have anyone to send. I added on I needed to dispute March's bill too because I was being undercharged by about 180kwh and I didn't want to play catch up with them. He was still rude, but placed a billing hold on my account for 30 days while they investigate this. (They no longer had the old meter)

I'll let you know how this plays out, but I now have proof I was being overcharged for at least a year. If you think NG is screwing you over, ask for a new meter and start keeping track of your usage. Check your bills to see if the usage is actual or estimated as well, because if they say actual and it's not in line with what you're using (or being charged for) you have a solid case.

Lastly, I will be disputing any bill that shows as estimated from now on. If needed, I'll be requesting a manual meter. It will cost $11/month, but that's cheaper than being overcharged by hundreds of dollars for who knows how long and having to dispute every bill.

Comments