Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

NovelNo87 t1_j3sm174 wrote

Camps are still nearby, they just moved some tents to the park near the Blackstone museum and further down the bike path in the other direction across the river from Imperial. Probably wouldn’t be there if police hadn’t cleared out the other camp in the woods off providence street last year where they weren’t in anyone’s way anyway. The city needs new policy because they seem to think homeless just disappear if you drive them away and confiscate their stuff.

thatguyonreddit40 t1_j3spqrr wrote

I really don't understand what people think will happen if you clear homeless away. Like they just magically end up housed?

DGBD t1_j3t5fe4 wrote

Everybody wants to live in a cheap, shitty tent behind a Walmart. The issue is that most people who have houses don't also have cheap, shitty tents. The ones that get them immediately set up behind Walmart.

By removing their cheap, shitty tent you're removing the incentive to be homeless. They'll return to their 4 bedroom houses in the suburbs, and us normal folks will be able to shop at Walmart without having to look at them, which let's face it is the real tragedy.

By the way, I'll be running in the next Republican primary, I hope I can count on your vote.

MuthrPunchr t1_j3u5kpx wrote

“You’ve got my vote” - some dumbass Republican

Phrag t1_j3uttx0 wrote

It's keeps them from organizing. If you let a camp sit long enough, it may become somewhat stable. The people living in it might get resources that they would otherwise have access to. It might even been seen as a partially good thing by some of the locals with housing. This is potentially beneficial for everyone except the cops, who will have a harder time moving them when someone influential enough wants them moved. So you have the massively wasteful, dehumanizing, and likely unconstitutional system that exists now, because it makes cops' jobs easier in theory.

masshole4life t1_j3wm60w wrote

lots of people make decisions based on emotions and don't think things through at all. for exhibit a just look at our prison system. so much hot air blowing around about being tough on crime and don't drop the soap, and not a single one of the cretins who think this way are worried about the inmate's looming release date and how he will make his way in the world once he becomes our neighbor.

emotional bigmouths are one of our nation's major hurdles in achieving "greatness".