Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Shaki8 t1_j44ki15 wrote

Bye, bye Stop & Shop with that useless robot that is always in the way and your nonexistent customer service.

saguarosally t1_j44mczk wrote

It's also possible MB will be so busy all the time that people will go back to S&S because it's faster.

Shaki8 t1_j44mpvg wrote

It should be cheaper and in my experience the cashier lines are usually all open in stark contrast to S&S.

snakeman1961 t1_j44gbts wrote

I wanna go to the opening celebration but it will be a zoo. The traffic will be pretty congested, Rt 20 is not meant for that kind of volume. But it is great news.

Trinimaninmass t1_j45rg6f wrote

It’s sucks for us!

We were constantly going to the one in Hudson (or the one in Burlington, becuase hmart is right there as well) and we were so pumped for the MB to open on route 20. We’re so close, the car wouldn’t warm up on our drive over there that’s how short of a drive it would be.

But alas, we get three weeks of joy at that MB and we’re moving.

I hope whoever we rent our home to now has the joy of “ run to MB for veggies or bread” as opposed to the crappy price chopper on Sunderland.

thedecentshepherd OP t1_j47rcmh wrote

Hmart is great! Have you checked out the Asian Supermarket aptly called Asian Super Market on Mill street In Worcester?

Trinimaninmass t1_j48lmkz wrote

Yep! It’s less organized than hmart and less selection, but still awesome enough for being 13 min from our house!!!

Virtual_Announcer t1_j44n8pk wrote

Market basket is the greatest supermarket chain in earth. I am excited to have it around the corner now

dpceee t1_j45amu5 wrote

I'm an ALDI man, plus it's still further away than the stores near me.

DaPoole420 t1_j45rdc1 wrote

Just saw a new ALDI is opening soon as well

dpceee t1_j45z6vl wrote

Where? I am a huge fan of them. They don't have everything I need, but they have most of what I want.

SmartSherbet t1_j46omjp wrote

Can somebody explain why people are so excited about this particular grocery store? What is so great about it?

And if it is so great, why don’t they have a location in Worcester? Do they not want the 200,000+ people who live here as customers?

thedecentshepherd OP t1_j46pmol wrote

So market basket's entire thing is "more for your dollar." Item prices are set to the same at all of their stores so you know what you're getting from place to place. Their very good about being well stocked and having a mix of high quality and good value foods.

The main reason I can think of why they're in Shrewsbury and not Worcester is taxes and shrewsbury being a central location for Boroughs, Grafton, and Worcester. (So 200k in worcester but there's also about 200k in all of those other towns combined)

Many people in worcester are already driving 20 minutes North to Leominster or south to Oxford. So driving 10 minutes west is easy enough.

Edit: there are about 100k in those towns combined not 200k

thedecentshepherd OP t1_j46pu7f wrote

Also their customer service is typically fantastic, they're great at ensuring checkout lines are open.

0nward_and_Upwards t1_j48gidr wrote

The DeMoulas treat their workers well too compared too other stores. Hell they had a strike when Arthur T. DeMoulas was fired.

SmartSherbet t1_j46ukc6 wrote

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a good store, but I'm still surprised by the hype. It's just a grocery store.

If there were one in Worcester, I'd like to try it out. No way I'm driving to Shrewsbury for groceries, though. It baffles me that people would drive 20 minutes to a grocery store unless they have to, but to each their own.

dollface867 t1_j4937hj wrote

>but I'm still surprised by the hype. It's just a grocery store.

You must be new here. Just chalk it up to one of our parochial quirks.

Here's a documentary film that should help explain things.

ajohnson2371 t1_j47qd3w wrote

I'm in Worcester and would gladly make the trip to Wegmans in Northborough without any hesitation. Once you find a good store, it's hard going anywhere else.

thedecentshepherd OP t1_j46xc5l wrote

When I've done come comparison shopping between price chopper and market basket, typically I'll save about $20-30 on the basics (without coupons or specials)

CatumEntanglement t1_j4ch231 wrote

Dude, it's like right next to Lake Quinsigamond...as in it's just over the town line between Worcester and Shrewsbury. It might as well be in Worcester for how incredibly close it is to Worcester. Just Google map it instead of freaking out.

SmartSherbet t1_j4cmsqw wrote

Thanks but that is still a solid 20 minutes from where I live unless it’s 5am traffic levels. I love Trader Joe’s too but no way am I driving that far for groceries.

trixie91 t1_j4e4zq7 wrote

Bahahaha! "It's just a grocery store."

very_random_user t1_j491az1 wrote

It's mediocre stuff for cheap. So if you mostly care about the price it is good.

−2

spaghettibenderr t1_j44ojre wrote

Meh, I always hear good things about MB, but anything that moves into Shrewsbury will NOT be cheap. I can almost guarantee you that.

If you live in Shrewsbury, you pay Shrewsbury prices.

Yeah, they may be cheap today..but in 6 months...they will go up.

mahthafn t1_j44t987 wrote

Market Basket has the same pricing in every store regardless of location. No higher pricing in high income areas, no surge pricing in tourist areas during the high season.

liquidcarbohydrates t1_j45tyqy wrote

As a counter point - The stop & shop in Shrewsbury has lower prices than the stop & shop in Lincoln plaza. Feels like predatory pricing to me.

Thendsel t1_j48pmvu wrote

If I remember correctly, Stop&Shop has a few different price tiers that they operate different stores at. When the Market Basket in Maynard opened a few years ago, suddenly the Stop&Shop in South Acton couldn’t keep the same higher priced tier that Acton and neighboring Concord could “afford”, and they had to drop it to a lower priced tier.

Organic-Step-2347 t1_j45rhcw wrote

Much cheaper than it would have been if it had to be in Worcester, and more enjoyable too.

oceanwave4444 t1_j466mj8 wrote

I just got a new job out that way and this will be on my route home, super super stoked. It's so much closer then driving all the way out to Oxford!

Flexorrium t1_j46k8wi wrote

Anyone know if they have wider aisles at this one? Forgot which one I visited but it was definitely crowded with narrow aisles during a random late morning weekday so I'll probably wait a few till the initial wave dies down but am excited to replace Stop & Shop.

ToniBroos t1_j471tvm wrote

Ashland and Bellingham have narrow aisles. Hudson and Oxford which are newer are much wider. I think this will have wide aisles.

tommyverssetti t1_j475k84 wrote

Are they actually going to hire people to do check out.. standing 20 minutes to buy weekly groceries ain’t it

thedecentshepherd OP t1_j475v2m wrote

Every Market Basket I've ever been to has had the majority of check out lanes open all day. When it's super busy they go all hands on deck and every lane is open. They're staffed with a teller and a bagger. I don't think they have any locations with self checkout.

CoolAbdul t1_j4781rm wrote

They are very good at getting you checked out quickly.

ajohnson2371 t1_j47r06s wrote

I've been going to the MB locations in Hudson and Westford for a long time now. Upon hearing that the Shrewsbury location was a thing, I was quite pleased that one would be closer to home. However, I don't think I'll be hitting this one just yet... Wait for the new store craze to die down after a month or so. I remember when Wegmans opened about 12 years ago. Total madhouse for a while.

Trinimaninmass t1_j48lwjv wrote

OP, care for a trip report? Was going to go today but thought damn that place is going to be packed !

thedecentshepherd OP t1_j48obq8 wrote

This was around 1pm. It was moving, there weren't many parking spaces available but people were coming in at about the same rate.

There was someone at the entrance asking which town you were from. Every checkout was open and they even had temporary checkouts set up.

It looks like they're trying to compete with Wegmans and Total Wine. This location has the largest prepared food section I've seen. The liquor store was also really well stocked and pretty similar to the one in Waltham.

I only grabbed a few items but prices were the same as the other market baskets, so no changes there!

saguarosally t1_j48qa29 wrote

Early morning was great. Tons of parking, easy access, not super busy. The people there said it would be very busy in the afternoon though.

NativeMasshole t1_j44lwea wrote

Where is it on 20?

thedecentshepherd OP t1_j44m561 wrote

Where the Edgmere Movie theatre was. There's also a Market Basket Liquors there

200 Hartford Turnpike, Shrewsbury, MA 01545

CoolAbdul t1_j477s56 wrote

> a Market Basket Liquors there

Oh IS there??? I'm now interested.

jg429 t1_j4boe2b wrote

I’ll probably keep going to Hudson bc it’s not usually crowded weekend mornings.

But, as a transplant from the Lowell area, I’m glad to see MB slowly moving out here more and more! There were none when I first moved here and now there are a handful. Love to see it!

Wolfdogpump66 t1_j46n56c wrote

No one, that whole area is going to be a fucking disaster with the traffic, they fuck everything up

turkeyman20 t1_j4c128o wrote

All I know is Shrewsbury has enough grocery stores and no where to see a movie 🍿:(