Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_j9jdd1t wrote

Welcome to the Prompt! All top-level comments must be a story or poem. Reply here for other comments.

Reminders:

>* No AI-generated reponses 🤖 >* Stories 100 words+. Poems 30+ but include "[Poem]" >* Responses don't have to fulfill every detail >* [RF] and [SP] for stricter titles >* Be civil in any feedback and follow the rules

🆕 New Here? ✏ Writing Help? 📢 News 💬 Discord

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

sticky-pete t1_j9jgyy1 wrote

There is an old saying, one that's been spouted off in many different varieties over the decades, but it always reads the same; "mind over matter."

Adolescence is an awkward and inevitable stage in everyone's life. Hormones are flaring, everything is changing, and nothing is certain. In the small town of Flatbrush, Wyoming, the year is 1962, and a young man is about to learn just how much power lies in the mind.

Essokinesis, the ability to manipulate reality. For no reason at all, or perhaps a cruel practical joke played by higher dimensional beings, 16 year old Elmer Flawcett found the ability to just that.

After third period, Elmer was due for his daily swirly. Hiding had gotten him nowhere. Running never worked. Elmer wasn't exactly built for self defense, you see. The one good thing to come of all this muck was Maggie. At first, she'd just taken pity on the boy, but grew to genuinely enjoy his company. The two were practically going steady now.

He'd been talking to Maggie at her locker when Chuck found him. Elmer clutched his books to his chest as the great big ape approached. Today, Elmer decided he'd make a stand, futile or not. "I wish you'd just get off my case." said Elmer before instinctively bracing for impact.

Instead Chuck looked stunned. Like the very idea of leaving Elmer alone was some novel concept that had never occurred to him before. "Huh. Yeah. OK, now that you mention it, that sounds good." He said seriously before walking past both of them.

The two exchanged shocked looks. It was all the could talk about that day. "How did you do that?" She asked repeatedly. Elmer always gave the same answer.

"I have no idea!"

Days went by. Weeks. Elmer and Maggie were shocked. Chuck was acting like a decent human being! Chuck had infiltrated the social circle. Sure, he was being nice now, but Elmer was somewhat surprised his friend could just forget how much of a cretin this guy had been.

A month later you expressed these feelings to Maggie, who was now Chuck's lab partner in fourth period. Instead of agreeing with Elmer as usual, she came to Chuck's defense, called Elmer vindictive for holding a grudge. He could hardly believe it. Their first argument, over Chuck!? But it only got more heated. Eventually, Maggie says "Maybe I'd just rather spend time with Chuck, anyway."

Elmer's heart shattered. Without thinking, he said "I wish you'd just disappear!"

And just like that, Maggie Vanderhogen was no more. There was no blood. No body. Nothing. She blinked out of existence. Elmer sunk to his knees, a face a mask of shock, pain and terror. How was the happening? Why him?

"I wish I never said anything to Chuck that day..." He said quietly.

If you've ever wondered why you can't find Flatbrush on any map, that's because it's a town lost in time, perhaps wished away on a whim by a pissed off teenager.

There's one more saying that applies to this story:

"Be careful what you wish for."

Dr_Hajime t1_j9ju22q wrote

Why did you do NTR? I'm sorry I can't like your story as it really makes me uncomfortable.

sticky-pete t1_j9m73p7 wrote

Well I certainly wasn't going to do a happy story, the prompt made that feel like the obvious choice.

Dr_Hajime t1_j9m7b7n wrote

Well It's not that I hate the unhappiness but the NTR particularily.

Your story is not bad, just not to my taste.

thepush t1_j9movvb wrote

Serious question: what does NTR mean in this context? I'm unfamiliar with the expression.

Dr_Hajime t1_j9v04aa wrote

A loved one being stolen away is the NTR or netorare trope.

thepush t1_j9vrsyk wrote

Oh. I thought that might be it after some Googling, but thank you for the follow-up.

Dr_Hajime t1_j9vryu3 wrote

You're welcome. Always a good thing to warn people about this... thing.