Submitted by Commander_Night_17 t3_10zo0mt in WritingPrompts

The main draw of r/writtingprompts is the stories written on so many varied topics and the abilty to flex your creative biceps, made by creative minds from all walks of life. So I'd like to know, what kind of prompt OP are you? How do you manage your prompts? Do you try your own prompts?. Let me know!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

burtleburtle t1_j874hmd wrote

Most of my prompts do not require fantasy elements. I limit myself to posting at most one a day. Usually they're based on a real problem or observation, but I translate it so it's not identifiable. And abstract it to hint how a story could be made out of it without binding responders to any unnecessary particulars. Like, two choices but would it be cheating to combine them? That one got struck down as too abstract, so sometimes I add arbitrary particulars. Like, big mac vs filet o fish but maybe I can ask for tartar sauce on big mac?

Some days I get a prompt-writing binge, like recently "any time I changed my ways is a prompt". Then I have a file where I can stash away unlimited potential prompts. Later if I'm feeling that posting prompts is worthwhile, I can pull from that file once a day if nothing else jumps out at me. I put a star in the file by the ones I've already posted.

Most of my prompts are ignored. That's fine. Prompts aren't the important thing here, stories are. I try not to respond to my own prompts, but sometimes I do anyways, but when I do I give others a few hours lead time. I try to write roughly as many stories as prompts, preferably to other people's prompts. I used to try to do 2x as many critiques of stories as I do stories, but I haven't even done 1x recently. I only critique stories I like.

Commander_Night_17 OP t1_j879oyp wrote

Considering the fact that most people here write fantasy prompts and fantasy stories (Myself included, I do understand why many of your prompts are ignore.

Utmost respect for realistic prompts though, it takes a bit of skill to write them and for them.

Intresting that you also put your Irl probelms in it.

I tend to reply to nearly any post in my prompts as they gave a good try, perhaps I should take leaf of your example.

Thank you!

Ryan_Alving t1_j849fra wrote

I write prompts usually if I already have an idea for them. Then I write my own story underneath. I had a rather popular one about a blue dragon I still need to finish.

Commander_Night_17 OP t1_j859xap wrote

I was wondering why the story of a blue dragon sounded so familar, you're the fellow who came up with blue dragon heading down the mount.

Wonderfull to see you again, though I suppose you don't remember me

You're process behind prompt creation is interesting.

Good to know that that story is going well, good day!

articulatedWriter t1_j85agg1 wrote

I write a prompt with an idea in mind for my own and I hope to see others interpretations unfortunately my posts never really pick up slack other than the prompt me post I did a while ago which was fun

I only really feel comfortable posting my own when I see others interacting with the prompt and if no one does is it even a decent prompt? So why try even if I have this idea stuck in my head 😓

articulatedWriter t1_j85am4l wrote

A lot of my prompt ideas came from dreams where I accidently built a story around them like the latest one I suggested about the sweets shop

Commander_Night_17 OP t1_j86t4y0 wrote

Back when I had proper sleep and less troubles, I too got a lot of writing ideas from dreams.

Surprised that this is quite common

Commander_Night_17 OP t1_j86szmo wrote

Well, I believe you can trying anyways, even if it is just for later, don't worry about posts picking up slack, not all can be winners and I'm sure something will.

Totaly understand