Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dorn284 t1_j87c7g0 wrote

Shaking, crying, the three females huddle together. I could glare at Gabreal, but there would be no point. They've been holding this favor in their robes since Eden's end. Of all the beings they could call on though, they choose me to play fill in for this? Sure, two of the females are young. Not old enough to breed, as far as I can tell. Old enough they don't need to nurse, maybe?

They sigh. "They are not old enough to need to nurse, no. They are both twins, and a year out from reaching sexual maturity. Not that that stopped..."

My eyes flick over to theirs. Gab can't lie for shit. They also suck at hiding things, and they know me very well. Others would see it as them maipulating me, but I know. They didn't want me to know that. They know what it will mean. Unlike Satan's spawn, the Devil's have rules. We're known for it. Don't get me wrong, we are just as cruel as our cousins. And our rules don't make us "better" then them by any means. But we Devils all have some rules.

Mine are simple. Bargain only for yourself. Simple in theory, but there is nuance to everything. A mother bargaining to save their child is doable. A father offering his daughter as payment though... It's two other rules that made him choose me. The two rules that make my kin cautious of me. Leave no orphans. Harm no innocents.

Harm. No. Innocents.

Gab and I stand there, looking each other into the eye. Around us a pair of hounds materialize and move towards the females. They are scared, which is fair. Even hidden behind my Seemings hellhounds are no small things to have approch you in the depth of night. But my hounds are good hounds. Within minutes of the hounds whining and begging for attention, the young have bonded with them and all five are huddling together. The hounds will keep them warm enough, for now.

"Gabreal, this I ask of thee, my honored friend, my ancient enemy. Did you choose me to guard them, or to avenge them?"

They turn their eyes from me, looking down at the females. The weight of their contemplation doesn't seem to affect them, though one of my hounds snarls at him where the females can't see. "Amodagon, this I answer thee, my beloved friend, my honored enemy. You I choose to guard them, but I know one thing to be true. Those who harmed them hunt them still, and when they find them again, the only thing that will keep these females alive is you." They bow their head, and turn away. "I am sorry, Dag. So sorry that yet again I will be the reason you bloody your hands."

I nod slowly, before waving a hand dismissively at him. "Go. Keeping three females alive won't be hard, though my methods may not meet your approval. And should the ones who harmed them arrive, know that they will not be threats for long." The looks on his face is priceless as I push him back towards heaven with a final phrase. "After all, how much harm could one Devil's son really do?"

Of all the devils, he chose me. Realities filled with other divine creatures, lesser gods, spirits and others. He could of chose any of them.

Besides. Atlantis had it coming.