Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

steadycoffeeflow t1_j9bj2pg wrote

“Not sure how long you’ve been waiting, Mr. Banes, if I may?” Mr. Banes nodded stiffly. “So thank you for your patience while I got things sorted on my end. Also, please, help yourself to some coffee. Wasn’t sure how you take it, so I brought a myriad,” Ash explained, putting the coffee and fixings within reach of Mr. Banes’ grasp.

But all Mr. Banes did was stare at the steaming paper cup and sugar and dairy packets. Just as Ash was about to speak up, the man mumbled, “No one was supposed to be down there.”

And Gene thought this man was a cold blooded Super-killer?

“Why don’t you tell me why my colleagues are referring to you as LOTO, or, what did Gene say?” Asher raised his voice so whoever reviewed the audio would know Ash was being a shitheel, per usual. “Why go by the name ‘Lockout’?”

“…my name is Michael,” Mr. Banes said, brow furrowed. To his credit, he was only confused a moment more before he was clearly exasperated with the situation. “LOTO. So you mean, lock out, tag out?” He spoke as if he was talking to a child, carefully and mindfully. His tone didn’t bother Asher none, considering Mr. Banes had likely explained the concept to those outside a dozen times to no avail. “Hey man, that’s just a safety procedure we follow so no one gets hurt,” Mr. Banes continued, but stopped when Asher held up a hand.

“I’m familiar with the human need for workplace regulatory standards, believe-you-me, Mr. Banes,” Asher explained.

If Asher was more like Rapport, he imagined the relief that Mr. Banes was letting roll across his shoulders would have been brightly visible as an aura. “You get it,” he sighed. Then seemed to find a renewed bout of energy that cracked his stoic demeanor. “So why did no one else here get that?”

Asher couldn’t help himself and chuckled darkly. “You expected a group where half the people part of it have ‘industrial accident’ in their tragic backstories to comprehend the severity of not following safety regs?” Nevermind the other half were causing such accidents on a near daily basis. It was nice, Ash realized the cause of his good mood despite the circumstances, that the tables had been turned on Them for once.

“Well… Then yeah, doubly so in fact,” Mr. Banes replied in earnest.

“Yet here we are,” Asher said, more so into his coffee than to Mr. Banes. “So, your super name is not ‘Lockout’ and, as far as you are aware, you possess no superpowers, Mr. Banes?”

“I mean, I make a mean—” Mr. Banes glanced at the wall Asher had suddenly appeared through and swallowed whatever he was about to say. Ash, meanwhile, quite wish he hadn’t. The joke would have humanized the man. Well. At least to the more reasonable crowd who hadn’t lost touch with mankind just yet.

Then again, the more reasonable crowd had already called him in.

“No. I’m just some guy. I work for P&E. Have for over a decade. I pay taxes,” Mr. Banes’ concluded, bringing his stoic nature back in the process.

“Why don’t you go through how the day went, from your perspective, starting from the beginning,” Asher suggested, moving down through a mental checklist of questions and queries he had to get through, for formality’s sake. The banal nature of this being a workplace accident was making Asher feel more at ease with his civilian sector persona.

Mr. Banes took Asher through a perfectly normal and reasonable work day for someone working at a manufacturing plant. The location of which, unfortunately for Michael Banes, had been the most recent target for one of Calamity Jim’s heinous plots to sow calamity. Work on Silo 1—which Asher had stopped to clarify for the record was where hazardous but necessary manufacturing materials were housed for safekeeping before refinement—had been scheduled for over a week, so everyone who was working on-site had been made aware.

Before Mr. Banes descended to inspect and begin work on the silo, it and the compartments beneath had been checked and cleared of all personnel and materials. This, Asher pointed out to the record, was verified by three people: Mr. Banes himself, Mr. Banes’ work partner, and the supervisor overseeing the work on Silo 1.

That was when Mr. Banes had initiated the lockout of the system, so no one else could fire up the silo while he was inside it. And, to the plant’s credit, no one had fired up the system until Mr. Banes—who had been the one to tag it—lifted the lockout himself.

It was at some point between then and Mr. Banes concluding the work by firing the silo back up into operation, Calamity Jim and Sandpoint had dueled their way into the compartments underneath. “So,” Mr. Banes concluded somberly, “I killed them.”

Asher sighed. “Well yes, at least one of them, anyways.” Was it his imagination that the left side of his face was heating up? So touchy if not shown proper reverence.

“…am I going to need a lawyer?” Mr. Banes’ voice wavered slightly.

steadycoffeeflow t1_j9bj6mc wrote

Asher debated a moment, then realized the human’s priorities were a bit…off. Especially since Asher had concluded the temperature fluctuations were not, in fact, limited to his imaginations. “Are you part of a union?” Asher asked.

Mr. Banes thought, just a moment, then nodded. “Yeah, yeah I am but-“

“Then your union rep is likely going to back you. Especially given what I’m seeing of your documentation and work record,” Asher replied idly, not catching himself in time. Mr. Banes looked like he wasn’t about to let those little supposed-to-be-private-unless-provided-via-search-warrant-details slide, so Asher cleared his throat and—borrowing from some of his ‘colleagues’ penchant for dramatics—leaned forward and dropped his tone. “It’s not the legal system that should be weighing on you, Mr. Banes. It’s the fact that Calamity Jim has a wife…er…girlfriend? Partner? Hell, could even call ‘er a side-chick if you’d like, get it? Side-kick?”

By Mr. Banes’ frown, he did not get it.

Ash sighed again and leaned back. “Let me get you in on a well-known secret, Mr. Banes. Supers? They don’t care about legal turnouts or case proceedings. I’d put good money on you clearing any charges of being found at fault here. Hell, I’ll represent you if you think your rep isn’t giving you a fair shake even, pro-bono.” Mr. Banes might have looked a little uplifted if he wasn’t waiting for the other shoe to drop. Asher was beginning to really feel for the guy. “But Calamity Jane isn’t going to care that you weren’t found at fault. All she cares about it that Calamity Jim passed out due to toxic fumes and then was summarily vaporized by you firing up the silo.” And to really hammer the point home. “You’re married? You have a kid?”

Mr. Banes’ expression was getting paler and slicker by the second. Asher’s face was bearing the brunt of his blasé impunity.

“My partner is out of town and my son—” Mr. Banes expelled a heavy breath. Then repeated his mantra of, “No one was supposed to be down there.”

“Because you followed the rules set in place to protect people.” Ash made a point of side-eying the wall. “Because when people don’t follow those rules, what happens to them, Mr. Banes?”

Mr. Banes looked at the wall as well, then jumped a little when he looked back across at Asher, who took that reaction as he might have been laying on the dramatics a little thick. “People can get hurt,” Mr. Banes responded quickly.

“Exactly, Mr. Banes,” Ash said, leaning back and resuming his relaxed stance. The heat in his face was mitigating, however, so he’d made his point effectively elsewhere as well. “Because people who don’t follow the rules can get hurt. Or worse yet, hurt others. And on that note,” Asher set down his tablet and smiled at Mr. Banes. “I’ve made arrangements for your son. His school has been in contact and is cooperating. Your partner has also been located, and work is being done to bring them to safety as well.”

“From Calamity Jane,” Mr. Banes said slowly. He looked back to the blank wall. “What about… Sandpoint’s side-kicks?”

“Sandpoint isn’t dead,” Ash explained bluntly. “At least, far as I’m aware based on his physiology. Something about reincarnation? Rapid regeneration? Some people get all the luck of second, third, even fourth-chances, am I right?”

Mr. Banes was frowning again.

Asher took a moment to underline an earlier note he’d made: No animosity toward Supers. Well, no client was perfect…

“Am I free to leave?”

“Sure, sure,” Asher replied, waving a hand. “Just, you know, if I were you, I’d stay? On account of this being probably the last place Calamity Jane would want to hit.” Ash stood up from the table and made his way to the door. “But let’s see if we can’t get you some better, more comfortable accommodations in the meantime, eh?”

“I— Thank you,” Mr. Banes said, appearing somewhat defeated.

“Not a problem,” Asher said, swiping his keycard. The door dinged, but Mr. Banes spoke up before Asher could fully step through, which more or less broke the illusion so the very normal and boring hallway packed with now a half dozen Supers was somewhat visible now.

“Thanks again, uh, Asher? For the coffee. But I’m a little—” Mr. Banes held up his arms and nearly toppled out of the chair. He had clearly been expecting resistance from the cuffs that were no longer impeding him, and, by Asher’s estimates, hadn’t been for the past ten or so minutes. In fact, they lay open and unlocked before him, the leg restraints beneath also slack.

“Oh right, I found all that to be a little much, didn’t you?” Asher spoke up for the hallway crowd. Mr. Banes was still looking at the cuffs in silent disbelief. Asher spared him. “I’m a fixer, Mr. Banes. It’s what I do; I get people out of situations. And I’m more than happy to be getting you out of yours. Just sit tight, and I’ll fix things from my end.”

Zeebird95 t1_j9cme7h wrote

So far this has been the best writing in this thread. I love it ( As someone who works in a manufacturing Fab. )