Submitted by MajorParadox t3_10zt3ne in WritingPrompts

SatChat! SatChat! Party Time! Excellent!

Welcome to the weekly post for introductions, self-promotions, and general discussion! This is a place to meet other users, share your achievements, and talk about whatever's on your mind.

Suggested Topic

Who is the last character you created?

Tell us about them!

(Repeat topic, feel free to suggest more!)

More to Talk About

• New here? Introduce yourself! See the sticky comment for suggested intro questions
  • What are you doing to keep busy while self-isolating or in quarantine? Click here for some resources
  • Have something to promote? (Books, subreddits, podcasts, etc.)
  • Suggest us topics for future SatChats!

Avoid outright spam (don't just share, chat) and not for sharing full stories

News

Looking for some feedback on a short story? Try our sister subreddit r/WPCritique!

Best of 2022 - Winners! | Apply to be a Mod | Discord Server (Weekly campfires every Wednesday at 6 pm CST!)

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

dewa1195 t1_j84yv9x wrote

Heya MP! Hope you're doing okay!

The last character I created: An investigator of sorts who has touch-based powers(belonging to a group with the same powers) set in a modern world.

She appears apathetic on the surface and is a mentor to a younger character who recently came into her power. It's a murder mystery!

MajorParadox OP t1_j852vy7 wrote

I'm doing well! How about you?

She sounds like an interesting character! Touch-based powers should come in handy for a murder mystery!

dewa1195 t1_j86q96f wrote

I'm well!

I got the idea from a SEUS post. The powers are very useful. And writing her from a first person perspective was quite fun. It was an exercise in making her as passive as I could without making her too passive.

It was a great writing experience!

articulatedWriter t1_j84zzts wrote

The last character I actively sat down and wrote is technically a fish humanoid person called a Maraqui her name is Kaia and she delivers mail to tribes. In her debut story she was swept up in a storm and caught in a net and got a hook stuck inside trying to escape. But she's been in my brain for a long time I only just wrote the start of her story today

The last person that I'd say I created from almost nothing is a girl that is known as 'The Lost One of Vanity' her name's Tufani and she grew up in an arid city that prospered due to it's dances that brought forth the forces of nature which drove their cities economy on trade, she has dark skin with white patches this harmless skin condition is known as vitiligo and when she was born some believed her to be a blessing, but because her mother died giving birth some belief her to be a warning against using the dances to aid their city.

The day she was supposed to graduate some of her peers decided to pull a nasty prank, they slicked the stage in candle oil placed caltrops beneath the stage and snipped the lace of her shoe, when she was about the dance and bring forth the forces of nature she crashed through the stage pierced her legs and face on the caltrops and cried asking if she was still beautiful. She lost control of her emotions letting Vanity take her over and she split apart into gushing black shards of a mirror slicing down anyone that could see her. She wasn't aware of what she was doing only filled with the desire to not be seen wounded and when she woke from her rampage her wounds were healed but her city was half decimated with most everyone gone.

>!(I have a Reddit with a bunch of stuff like this if anyone's interested in more and you can share stuff if you want to as well ๐Ÿ˜!<

MajorParadox OP t1_j8535wz wrote

Both of them sound well thought-out!

You can share your writing subreddit if you want! We can even set it as your userflair!

articulatedWriter t1_j8554tn wrote

I actually requested to advertise it through here a while ago I was told it didn't fit the goal Writing prompts aims for their contributors๐Ÿ˜…

Is Userflair something I can do on my own?

MajorParadox OP t1_j855evt wrote

Oh, I assumed it was your writing sub. But feel free to share it here. This post is also for self-promotion as long as you're not spamming and here to contribute to the discussion ๐Ÿ‘

articulatedWriter t1_j8567as wrote

To be fair when I'm the only contributor I can see why it would look like that ๐Ÿ˜…

My hope is for anyone who is comfortable enough to share their ideas and then people can build off those ideas and write their own versions of the stories using what is brought to the world ๐Ÿ˜

R/FantasyWeBuild

Helicopterdrifter t1_j8536yw wrote

Vigdis! She's the Valkyrie protagonist for my short story Valkyrie: Black Swan, which I'm doing for a contest.

The story itself is an alternate look into the Valkyrie clan's inner workings. A Valkyrie having wings is rare and hasn't happened for nearly 800 years. Vigdis (War Goddess/Spirit) didn't have a name up until the moment her black wings appeared. She was given a name, and her new role in leadership allowed her declare what she wanted to oversee.

Vigdis then singled out a Midgard warrior named Mioko. She had been watching this young fighter and said that she aimed to protect her. Given that the Valkyrie's assigned role is taking away the slain, this is at odds with Odin's decree and she knows that it will set her at odds with the Allfather.

Vigdis eventually links up with Mioko and serves to teach her about Rune magic as well as the forces arrayed against her.

xwhy t1_j8564mo wrote

Christopher from Brooklyn, NY, aka owner of r/xwhy.

This is an interesting question because I just put together a Character Database (actually just a spreadsheet) of about 55 flash and short stories I've written in the past 5 or 6 years.

One thing that I found odd was that a lot of characters, particularly in first-person flash, didn't have names or nicknames. I didn't have a way to work it in. In a couple of them, that loss of identity was an advantage, but in others, I started to feel like something was missing.

Looking at my Submissions Database, the last story I created had a main character named Stephen (no last name) who lost time, coming aware as he was walking down his stairs toward the kitchen, only to discover a strange woman named Lorelle waiting for him. And there were a couple more people (or beings) in there.

I have a collection of 30 stories (included in the 55 mentioned above) sitting with an editor, there are a quite a lot of good characters in that one. Two favorites would be a devil and an angel (the devil has better lines, sadly). And there's a smooth-talking car salesman whose a hoot. I run the gamut of genres, but I'm not sure how many of those characters I'd have a beer with.

Pick a genre, ask me about a character I created for it. I'll say what I can without giving too much away.

MajorParadox OP t1_j856bnj wrote

A character spreadsheet is a great idea!

xwhy t1_j85itzv wrote

I wanted to know if I was repeating or favoring any names. Possibly I am in the throwaway characters. There were too many to catalogue. Oddly, my most used name was Martinez, which I used twice, both scifi, but at least a century apart.

I need to add more info about the main characters, and the races (particularly aliens). I have two totally different races from the same place, but it's okay because I only listed the star, so they could be from different planets there.

TheRealAuthorSarge t1_j85885m wrote

Captain Troy Bauer

He has been assigned to investigate the MC, First Lieutenant Cassidy McClane, for making sex videos with her husband. His report to the battalion commander will weigh heavily on whether or not 1LT McClane will be brought to a court martial for Conduct Unbecoming an Officer and Conduct Prejudicial to Good Order and Discipline.

During his interview with her, he keeps asking her questions like, "Have you ever done this with anyone else?" and "Do you and your husband ever bring home additional partners?"

When he asks her if she denies it's her in the videos, she admits it's her and he makes a "joke" about how hard it would be for her to deny a very intimately located tattoo. Something he would only know if he had been watching the videos of her and her husband.

He concludes the interview by suggesting to her that if she thinks of anything she can do to make his report more favorable, she should reach out to him.

Never have I written a character that made me feel like I needed a shower so badly. ๐Ÿคข I f*cking hate this guy.

MajorParadox OP t1_j858ffi wrote

That just means you made a great villain!

TheRealAuthorSarge t1_j858q0i wrote

Thank you!

I hope some day you can get to hate reading about him as much as I hate writing him! ๐Ÿคฃ

nobodysgeese t1_j857hrf wrote

It's been a while since I created a genuinely new character. The last one was probably Antoine, who was created for a four-part SEUS serial in July. He was in the airship airforce until an unspecified accident took an arm and injured his torso. After getting a clockwork replacement arm, he invested the remaining money from his honorable discharge to buy a small bistro in New Marseilles, a fictional city in steampunk Quebec.

Beyond a few standards, he tries to have the menu of his bistro rotate often. Sometimes he focuses on local cuisine to attract locals, while other times he makes meals from around the empire, to try to bring in new customers by appealing to imperial sentimentality. This is especially useful at attracting personnel from the large airship base in New Marseilles, many of whom have had these dishes while their ships were deployed across the empire.

MajorParadox OP t1_j857sky wrote

What's a clockwork replacement arm? I'm picturing a mechanical arm with gears like in a clock!

nobodysgeese t1_j85886e wrote

You've envisioned it exactly right. The first time we see Antoine, he's at the counter of his bistro, winding up his mechanical arm for the day

MajorParadox OP t1_j858ax7 wrote

Oh he even have to wind it up. Thatโ€™s pretty cool

Aftel43 t1_j85h0m9 wrote

Hmm... A tricky question to me, which will require me to ask for a clarification on. Whether you are asking for a character we have made on a writing we are working on privately or in this subreddit?

MajorParadox OP t1_j85hgx4 wrote

Whatever you wish to share ๐Ÿ™‚

Aftel43 t1_j85rt56 wrote

Hmm... Uh... What I have written in here it would be:

Norges Ylta, wow he is packing quite a haul of contempt for the one who sent him down to hell and for denizens of hell. Just because he was going to be declared the master of arms. Well, for the better but, also bad. Apex realm of chaos definitely honed him into a one lean and mean killing machine. Now, with the agreement with lord Verzalyn.

He is going to finally see home again but, of course. It is going to involve him adopting entirely different names and at all costs avoid killing angels. When I said master of arms, trust me. Norges knows every one of them even if his long sword is pet weapon. Despite saying initially no to main story's main characters request to train this.

While he is going by the name Sergon Varamal but, the innkeeper says that the man is reminding this of somebody from the city fairly far away from the inn they are staying at. Who was studying and training to become a master of arms. After listening secretly the main character's muttering and alcohol influenced story then witnessing a brawl.

Between the other people under the influence of alcohol. He finally intervenes and agrees to train the main character once this has recovered being knocked out by him and when alcohol has burned out from main character's digestive system. He is a demon in magical disguise. You would be surprised of the very human soul he still has though.

Last character I have written in private:

Jan Hurshem, born, bred and raised to be a scout of the Five Shields order. Energetic, dutiful, dedicated, resilient, notably socially awkward due to the training from early age and village he is born is quite small despite it still dutiful formal and polite, humble and acutely perceptive due to the training but, part of it is actually natural to him.

Rolar Hurshem, Jan's grandfather. Taught his grandson everything the boy currently knows but, kept secret something he was ordered to share but, didn't. Jan and another character are tasked to investigate shrine of nature guardian's odd behavior that is affecting kingdom's wildlife. Rolar is most proud of his grandson's personal combat style.

Involving short spear, dagger and a short sword using his mildly unnatural swiftness, speed and reaction speed, while training provides him adequate strength when situation requires. Making him a deadly duelist when need be although his priority is being a scout.

These are respective categories last characters I have made so far, although, I have a long list of characters collectively from my writings.

azdv t1_j85zreq wrote

An unnamed antagonist in the second phase of my Titans fanfic (cheap plug ๐Ÿ˜https://www.reddit.com/r/shortstories/comments/zxizmp/mf_teen_titans_2090_pt_1/)

MajorParadox OP t1_j86s5os wrote

If you had to give them a name, what would it be?

azdv t1_j87y7ly wrote

I envisioned her appearance as kind of banshee-esq so I was thinking Shriek or a synonym for witch.

RiaSkies t1_j86nw7s wrote

I know not about my most 'recently' created character instead, but instead I will speak of the protagonist of my WIP novel. [Working Title: Runological Attraction]

Yulia Soutore (pronunciation: So, Tour A?), Age 23

Yulia is a first-year student at the Runaria Runological and Alchemical Academy, one of the newer institutions of higher education for would-be runologists in the Kingdom of Falscythe. She attends to better understand herself and her immense innate ability for runology, especially that of the Wind element, though she also hopes to be able to find an opportunity for steady employment after graduation. She's an orphan whose mothers passed away in the opening salvos of the Fourth Demon-Human War 15 years prior, and has lived much of the intervening years as a nomad and a beggar, working odd jobs when able to earn her daily bread. As a result of her loss, she harbors deep sense of pacifism and struggles with a significant amount of trauma. On the surface, though, she's cheery, though also a bit of a ditzy airhead (pun very much intended).

Unfortunately, while she seeks a peaceful life alongside her lover and partner, the studiously astute Fire runologist Amari Blariot (Blair-ee-OTT), the machinations of war are turning and a new conflict is on the horizon, forcing her to confront her trauma, come to terms with a society that won't acknowledge or accept their relationship, and understand and accept her origins.

The words of her rival Cassandra ring in her ears: "An ideal without a blade to back it up is just a platitude." "Sometimes pacifism needs a champion to take up arms in the name of peace."

Currently it's quite the passion project that I've been pouring a lot of time and effort into; the first arc of the story clocked in at 74,000 words and I'm currently about 11,000 into the second arc. Very slow-paced, dialogue heavy, with a lot of slice-of-life along the way.

MajorParadox OP t1_j86scdw wrote

Sounds interesting, good luck getting through the second arc!

PhoenixMommy t1_j874ked wrote

Live in the US, I'm a she, been off and on Reddit for at least a decade. I'm a writer been writing since I could write. I have stories and shit on Wattpad under Baibug123 the picture has a ginger anime chick. Motivation is my own creations made to cope with past traumatic childhood. I use whatever I have to write. My writing speed depends on my creative flow.so slow when I'm stuck and fast enough I can't keep up with my brain.

Enjoy my crazy and creative ramblings. My writing style is still juvenile, but I combine historical and biblical with nonfiction and modern times. I cover a wide range of things from straight to LGBTQ and try to educate in my stories....researching things such as who ruled a section of Japan during the Edo period to the exact year the Tower of Babel was smooshed. Don't mind my smartass quips...it's how I show my affection.

https://www.wattpad.com/user/baibug123

MajorParadox OP t1_j89ld5k wrote

That's cool that you try to educate in your writing too!

Glitched_cyrstal t1_j87iouj wrote

The last character I created needs a little explaining, I have created a universe in which sometimes a form of matter known as "glitch" appears. This matter disrupts space time, is highly unstable, and is not meant to exist. When a living organism collides with such matter, it can corrupt that creature into an all powerful being of death and destruction with no remorse for its actions. The last character I have thought of is Glyoqxzine, (best pronunciation possible by a human tongue) this is the most powerful known "glitched being" and singlehandedly destroyed 57 dimensions (a dimension in this case is one of the infinite 3D cross-sections of a 4D universe, makes sense in context) before being wiped out by a glitched hypernova, a supernova like event where the star is filled with glitched matter. Since it is so unstable, when it finally does explode, depending on the size of the star it can destroy a dimension on its own. Not that much so far, because I thought of it a few days ago in band class, but I will soon come up with some of the horrendous acts of destruction it committed when it was alive. These things can destroy entire planets with a swing of their hand. (but usually don't since it causes more suffering to have it slowly burn away as the last few moments flash before the eyes of those unfortunate enough to have survived this long, the agony coursing through their veins, well all they have ever loved is incinerated right in front of their very eyes. Death is sudden, pain is eternal)

Ackarcue t1_j8asoyv wrote

Ello there, I present a cowboy: J.J. Oliver.

He is based off a mixture of Lucky Luke and Arthur Morgan, but somewhat more in writing rather than characteristics. I enjoy writing high and low honor versions of him as it forces me to keep a character consistent yet different.

I always use him as a muggle reference for my more magic-related works, such as when I had him fight Dwarves invading from the magic world.

MajorParadox OP t1_j8aw73q wrote

Oh, so you use him across stories? That's always fun!

Stinky_salmon666 t1_j8ce3x4 wrote

Lola, a beautiful woman in a black satin dress sitting on the curb under a street lamp.

SR_Z3R0_ t1_j9v7er0 wrote

hello op, how are you? the last caracter i created is: a normal man in a world where its god is a cat

he has a mission of surviving a few decades with a small comunity till the god come back to take them to heaven

im planing on making a continuation on that caracter

MajorParadox OP t1_j9v7na6 wrote

That sounds like a fun world! I wish our world had a cat god

SR_Z3R0_ t1_j9v7yjn wrote

actually it isn't, the cat distroys the world economy and a lot of people died becouse of it apearence. but it would be really cool if we had a cat dog

AutoModerator t1_j84xnnt wrote

Tell us about yourself!

• Where do you live (State / Country)?
  • Preferred pronouns?
  • How long have you been on Reddit?
  • How long have you been on r/WritingPrompts?
  • Do you use r/WritingPrompts to read or write?
  • Writers:
  • How long have you been writing?
  • What is your writing motivation?
  • What programs do you use to write?
  • How fast can you type? Try 1 minute on Aesop's fables
  • Readers:
  • How do you find prompt responses to read?
  • Do you also write?
  • if not, why haven't you tried?
  • Want to share a photo? See our Photo Gallery!

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Hairiest_Tubman t1_j860qqn wrote

My character is John, an everyman-type character who is working through the five stages of grief.

Stage 1: Denial John carries around his dad's urn as he goes through his regular, normal daily activities. Stage 2: Anger John gets into a fight with his sister, etc... all the while working on refinishing an antique desk that's been handed down in the family, and that Stage 5: Acceptance John finally completes.

John's adopted but doesn't know it and has to process and reconcile that as part of the grief process.

BTW - I'm new here, but old and softspoken IRL. I use writing to help me 'find my voice.'