Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AutoModerator t1_j9qc8ti wrote

Welcome to the Prompt! All top-level comments must be a story or poem. Reply here for other comments.

Reminders:

>* No AI-generated reponses 🤖 >* Stories 100 words+. Poems 30+ but include "[Poem]" >* Responses don't have to fulfill every detail >* [RF] and [SP] for stricter titles >* Be civil in any feedback and follow the rules

🆕 New Here? ✏ Writing Help? 📢 News 💬 Discord

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

TheGalator t1_j9tho1q wrote

The problem I have with this prompt is not the prompt itself but that everyone responding to it completely fails to remove 21 century socioeconomic standards from their stories.

Gregamonster OP t1_j9tjnsi wrote

I know right? Obvious fairy tale setting and yet nearly all of them are set in either the present or a vaguely fairy tale themed present.

Spozieracz t1_j9shzto wrote

Ah yes, typical r/writingprompts doing what it does best- beating up dead unicorns

−1

jpeezey t1_j9tilzp wrote

Would you consider the damsel in a tower trope to be a dead unicorn? It’s obviously overused in old fairy tales and hasn’t really been used as a serious plot point since then, but I thought dead unicorns were ‘perceived tropes’ that were never actually popular despite now being the butt of parodies and subversions.

Spozieracz t1_j9tknvi wrote

I meant more precisely the trope of a princess locked in a lonely tower. Princesses in fairy tales are usually locked up in the highest towers of a castle or royal palace by a father who does not want her to lose her chastity. The only fairy tale I know of where a girl was locked up in a lonely tower in the middle of nowhere is Rapunzel. And Rapunzel isn't even a princess.