Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

newpuppermomma t1_j9jtgaw wrote

The dragon sacrifice was supposed to be Andre. He was large, healthy, strong and as recompense for his sacrifice, he’d mated with every female he desired, impregnating at least five. I’ve never even sniffed a female.

This morning the emergency horn sounded, assembling the whole kingdom. A human envoy had arrived to inspect the “goods”. I knew I was expected to stay at the back of the crowd, but I’ve never been known to follow rules. Fire, they call me, because I blaze my way through life.

I’d merely desired a peek. What did these gods who controlled us all powerful dragons in their palms look like?

Puny.

Hairless.

Tender and skinny. Like a baby deer. Not enough meat to even pad my tummy.

This human wore a thin layer of white fabric that covered most of its body. Glass covered its eyes. It had a thin rectangular metal object in one hand. Teknology. It’s what made them so strong apparently. I bore holes with my eyes into the thin metal, unable to fathom what made it so special. Could it withstand my fire breath?

I couldn’t hear what was being discussed, but I could see that all the dragons a hundred times the size of the puny human were fawning over it. The human circled Andre twice, then stabbed him with a thick transparent tube which turned blood red. Watching him writhe in pain set my blood on fire. I had to do something.

I pushed my way through the crowd. As I launched myself at the human, Elder Green pummeled into me at lightning speed, clawing off a number of my newly grown scales I'd proudly shown off to him mere days before. “What are you doing?” He roared.

I looked up at him in shock. As the youngest prince no one has ever lost their temper with me like that. Elder Green has only ever doted on me.

“Blue blood?” The human noted, tapping on the metal object. “What’s your name?”

From this close I could hear the human's voice. High pitched and nasally, like it had a stuffed nose. Like an obnoxious little fly. Fragile. Insignificant. Dirty as poop.

“His name is Fire.” Imperial Father rushed over. “I apologize for his insolence. He is but a child, only 35 years old, which is equivalent to 12 in human age and maturity.”

Father stepped in between me and the human. I bristled. Why are we hiding? How can we cower under such an insignificant fly?

“We’ll take Fire instead.” The human's fly voice whined.

“Please spare him. He’s only a child. And he is willful and violent and will be more problem to you than he is worth.” Even prostrating, Father towered over the human. Father is proud. I have never seen him bowing to another.

“The decision has been made. Please don’t cause trouble.” The human casually opened up its white outerwear showing that beneath was filled with thin metal. Teknology. A threat.

“I’ll be back for Fire tomorrow at noon. Until then.” The human raised the corner of its lips then entered a metal box which sped away, leaving a cloud of dust, terrified dragons, and bewildered me in its wake.

TheCrimsonChariot t1_j9kfbxt wrote

This is neat. I love the twist

newpuppermomma t1_j9mgyrw wrote

thank you <3 T^T I'm beyond excited and gratified that people have read and left a comment on my writing <3

bouncing_strawberry t1_j9m4lgf wrote

That's not anough o.o this prompt has so much potential ! I can feel the world behind it even though you probably didn't think about it. I like it.

newpuppermomma t1_j9mhjwd wrote

you're right on! This felt like the start of a much longer story but I had to move on with my day and I didn't know how to end it so I just tried to cut it at a reasonable stopping point but you're totally right that there is much more to it! The adventures of a rebellious baby dragon in the terrifying modern human scientist world ^^

bouncing_strawberry t1_ja2gjbu wrote

I would love to read that! If you ever continue it tell me please! :D we don't have enough dragon in a modern world o.o

newpuppermomma t1_ja8g7ls wrote

Aww thank you ❤️❤️ I'll probably just write short stories on Reddit for a few months to improve my writing confidence and speed but after that I'll pick a longer project for sure!! My heart is in novels and web novels after all 🤗

Btw my topics and writing style is all over the place but made a new account u/secret-rune because I dont love this username which makes me seem like a middle aged lady 😂

-Not--Important- t1_j9mmlcx wrote

I love this twist and I wish I could read more. I am curious to know if Fire will get out of it or if he will have to be sacrificed. I also want to know why the sacrifice needs to be done! The agreement! Ahhh I just need more 🥰

Fontaigne t1_j9p27qw wrote

We don't even know what the "sacrifice" is. Fire may be going on an adventure.

newpuppermomma t1_j9pjjt7 wrote

Yes! Fire is going on an adventure :D

And the sacrifice is part of their peace treaty where in exchange for the land the dragons can live on (i.e. not being eradicated) they have to give up one healthy adult dragon every 50 years (dragons reach puberty at 50 years and can produce children which is why this frequency was decided) for the humans to study. The sacrifice usually survives but it's a miserable life because they're treated like a lab rat. Because Fire is a child and refuses to obediently comply he finds all sorts of ways to escape. Although the escapades are short it gives him a chance to help and befriend other humans who then in turn try to help him!

MarianeAicimoun t1_j9pfmw0 wrote

🤯 GENIUS! YOU FLIPPED IT!!

THE MIGHTY DRAGONS BEING ENSLAVED AND CHOSEN FOR SACRIFICE IS AN OUTSTANDING IDEA 💡 WAW I LOVE '' FIRE''' NOW!! IS HE GOING TO BE OK? 😥

newpuppermomma t1_j9phy5x wrote

Aww thank you!

And yes, Fire is fine (: I didn't write the rest of the story but the scientists want dragons to study them and distill magic from their blood. Fire isn't afraid of humans or anyone really (he's a feisty one!) so he keeps fighting back and escaping and in the process befriends humans and they help each other!