Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TotallynotTonyKhan t1_j9ow4hj wrote

“Ah, you must be the sacrifice the village sent. Are you perhaps the fairest among them, meant to be displayed in my lair? Or perhaps their best scholar, meant to discuss philosophy with me?”

“I am Karkas.” The minotaur replied.

“I see.” The dragon staired at the young minotaur and blinked a few times. “Is that all?”

“Karkas has was told by villagers that there was much gold in this cave.” The minotaur looked back and forth, scanning the floor of the cave. All he was able to see were bones and crispy pieces of armor.”

“Ah,” the dragon said. “ You are here to steal my gold then?”

Karkas looked up at the dragon. The glittery scales mesmerized him for a moment. Distracting him much like a child staring at a mobile.

“Karkas is no thief. Karkas thought the townsfolk left gold in cave. They only told Karkas he need be brave to retrieve it.” Karkas scratched his head, never breaking his gaze from the dragons scales. They seemed to shimmer in the light of his torch.

“I think I know what happened,” the dragon began, “Those conniving little townsfolk thought they could send you to me in place of their sacrifice. That wasn’t very nice of them.”

“Karkas, likes your scales. They are pretty.” The minotaur sat down on a bolder and let his axe drop to his side.

“Thank you, uh, Karkas is it? It is very difficult to keep my scales clean in this dingy place. So much soot and grime.” The dragon brought his giant head down to eye level with Karkas. The dragon’s head alone was four times bigger than the stout minotaur. “ You look rather tasty treat, I will not lie, but before I decide what to do with you, why don’t you tell old Shaldox what exactly you were hoping to do with his gold?”

The question regarding his motives broke his concentration from the scales. A serious look came across his face, and the dragon shifted ever so suddenly with anticipation.

“Karkas’ friends in jail. Karkas owes money, until Karkas pay back 10,000 gold, friends stay in jail.” The minotaur cast a serious gaze on the dragon.

“Do you wish me to pay your debt? Wipe the slate clean for your friends and yourself?” The dragon had a big toothy grin.

“Karkas would owe then?” The minotaur questioned.

“Exactly. I resolve your friends dispute, and you and your friends do a small quest for me.” Shaldox replied.

“Karkas’ friends are always ready to adventure. Karkas accepts your offer.” The minotaur extended he hand for a handshake.

The dragon, not wanting to be rude, sat up and extended the very tip of his claw, which was so thick the nearly seven-foot minotaur could barely rap his hand around it.

“Wait here Karkas. I will return in a few minutes. Make your self at home.” The dragon then fluttered its wings, blowing the torch out, and flew from the cave. The force of the wind pushed Karkas back down on to his seat.

A few minutes passed and the Shaldox the Dragon returned.

“Go back down to the city. Your friends will be in the jail house. There should be no trouble from the townsfolk. Come back when you are finished. The quest I have for you cannot wait.”

Karkas made his way back down to the village. Upon his arrival he immediately realized that all but a handful of buildings had been burned to the ground. There was not a single building in the entire town that was not singed or fire damaged in some way. As Karkas approached the jailhouse he found his friends being released right on que.

After exchanging pleasantries for a few moments and explaining the situation to his friends, they began making their way back to the dragon’s cave. They may be free from the jailhouse, but the real test was yet to come.