Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AddisonNM t1_j9e2lyd wrote

Davv walked into the coffee shop, the air was crackling. You can't put your finger on it, you try to shake it off. Tables murmured with animated figures, a drink is spilled, eyes look up for a second, then back to their phones. There is no lineup, but Davv wished there was. The brush bearded barista greets Davv without words. A tidal wave of heat hit Davv like a bus. A double decker bus that hadn't been washed, and a diesel smoking engine, most definitely not on schedule for a service.

You know that expression "love at first sight?" -this is the opposite. Spite at first sight.

"what can I get for you today?" The barista growls the words with the ferocity of a foundry. He remembered Davv, now it comes back, like a film being flashed through.

A betrayal. He left Davv literally hanging cliffside, and fell. Was it a falling down thing? It was definitely something, but a betrayal nonetheless. Davv died. Not really dead. Injured and with fragmented memories. This was ages ago.

"Lief, please just the latte today". The words are sent forth with a mix of emotions, hurt, angry, confusion.

"coming right up," Lief spits back. You go for the weather-checked wallet to pay. Spilling the change on the counter, Lief is studious, meticulous, even. The passage of time is a clock, with the gears covered in tar. Lief moves with deliberate movements, getting the measurements just right, moving like a well oiled machine. The tension is thick, hypnotic. "This is my doing, stop it, he can't hurt me here, can he? Look at him, he enjoys?" I'm manufacturing a scenario that doesn't exist. Give him the benefit of the doubt ".

Out of nowhere, a cooler of ice water is thrown at Davv.

"This. This is where you get yours, Davv!"

Flung into a panic, like a leaf in the wind.

"This. I have waited too long to make sure you get yours"!

-"whuuut?!" "uh uhhh, I..I.."

"your Latte, on the house, enjoy!"

Davv dives for the drink, no poison, no surprise potions, or added tinctures. The right temp, great taste. Possibly one of the better Latte ever. No. The best Latte.

"Social cues, were never my Forte, Davv." Lief confessed. "Coffee is my passion, my pride and joy, even"

Davv drinks the latte appreciatedly, and finds his way to the door. Outside, the wind nips at Davv, he pulls his dark coat close. Davv swivels back to wave at Lief, - he's gone. "hrmph, prolly gone in the back to get stock".

Davv heads out, enjoying the Latte.

Maybe people can change.