Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Raining_Hope t1_jdm3rso wrote

Medusa goes hunting. But she can't eat stone. How does she capture or kill her pray.

A leprechaun's real treasure is luck. The pot of gold at the end of a rainbow is just a distraction from the real treasure. A lifetime of good luck.

A hero is given an impossible task. The rewards are to save the kingdom, gain riches, and marry the king's daughter if he succeeds, or be put to death if he fails or refuses to go on the quest. The forces that be (the universe, deities, or otherwise) decide to help the hero regardless if he chooses to help the kingdom or flee from it.

Bonus points if you can combine all three promps into one story.

not_quite_graceful OP t1_jdmjz7k wrote

(Sorry for formatting, I’m on mobile. Also this had to be written twice, because. . . Reddit.)

“You want me to. . . what?”

Therion’s voice cracked, his eyes wide with fear, but the king clicked his tongue.

“Now, now, hero,” he chastised, a smirk crossing his face; it looked more like a benevolent smile to anyone who didn’t know the threat veiled behind it, but Therion’s heart pummelled his ribcage as the king he didn’t even know the name of continued, “Most men your age would kill for this kind of chance! The thrill if adventure, isn’t that what young adventurers like you live for?”

I’m not an adventurer and you know it, Therion thought, but the spear at his side made it clear what would happen if he said that. ‘For your protection,’ the king had declared, ‘so the commonfolk don’t trample you in their excitement. You’re the hero who will save them, after all!’

The nobles present had laughed at his joke, many muttering something like, “Foolish peasants”.

All but the sorrowful, golden-eyed girl, who just looked sadder with each word the king spoke. The princess, he knew, from the elegant dress and veil she wore. Bright gold, probably to complement her beautiful eyes.

Helios’ eyes, the sun’s eyes.

He tried not to think about the last woman he’d seen with such eyes. She was happy now, yes, with a loving -if drunken, but what else did he expect from his uncle?- husband, but before. . .

He did not think of Crete. He especially did not think of a cruel, greedy king named Minos, and a sad, starving beast trapped in a labyrinth.

The king he didn’t even know the name of was speaking again, so he forced himself to listen.

“. . . of course, you’ll need proper weapons. A sword, yes, and a shield-“

“My bow, milord,” he forced himself to say before he could think better of it.

The king-captor raised an eyebrow. “That twig we found you with?”

That twig was a gift from the goddess Artemis, he didn’t say. Instead, “It’s served me well for as long as I can remember.”

The king frowned, but waved a hand. “Yes, bring the young adventurer his bow,” he ordered a page, who bowed and scurried off. “Now, for your tasks!

“You must bring me the Gorgon Medusa, alive,” he began, a gleam in his blue eyes.

He’s insane. No one could do that! Therion thought, dismayed. Not even Father! Maybe not even Mother!

“One of my men had an encounter with it,” he continued, nodding towards the guard at Therion’s left, the man with the sword. “He’ll lead you to its last known location. After that, they will wait for your return.”

And make sure you don’t try to run, he didn’t have to say out loud.

“Next, you will fetch me a leprechaun’s gold,” the king declared. “From the end of Iris’ rainbow. And the leprechaun, while you’re at it.

“And finally,” he added, smiling slightly, “you’re a hunter, correct? Surely you can bring down the Golden Stag, then. Bring me these three things, and I will give you the hand of my most beautiful daughter, and half my current riches.”

Therion had to give the king a bit of credit. He was smarter than he looked. No one could bring down the Golden Stag, save Artemis herself.

Therion had to fight back a smirk of his own. Clever. But not clever enough.

“I accept your task, O Great King,” Therion declared. He accepted his bow and quiver from the page.

He looked back to the sad princess.

She looked back, sorrow filling her soulful golden eyes with tears. She didn’t want another “suitor”, another boy -because Therion was just a boy himself, he knew that, and the other “suitors” couldn’t’ve been much older than he was.

I will return, he promised her silently. I will return, and we will both be free.

For no one but the only son of Artemis and Orion truly stood a chance against these trials.

Therion forced himself not to smile.

Tricking the trickster.

Raining_Hope t1_jdmp17w wrote

I like that one a lot. Thanks for writing it and sharing it.

not_quite_graceful OP t1_jdmp4xj wrote

Thank you. I might expand on it later, if people are interested.

Raining_Hope t1_jdmq989 wrote

I'd be interested. But I'm also ok if you want to do something else. Your story, your time. It's up to you, not redditers.

Pokerfakes t1_jdnov80 wrote

I'm interested! I like what you've written so far.

not_quite_graceful OP t1_jdm4esc wrote

Can I make it two impossible tasks?

Raining_Hope t1_jdm4t39 wrote

You can make it a baker's dozen of impossible tasks if you really want. Often in the mythology stories I've heard there's more than one impossible task that they are told to do. Though those are usually given three impossible tasks, or just one impossible task that the forces of fate or the Greek gods help him conquer it all.

fanimal16 t1_jdm5luw wrote

Rainbow Serpent (Aborigine mythology) meets Apophis (Egyptian Mythology) and both meet Quetzalcoatl (Aztec mythology). Write your story about these snek gods

not_quite_graceful OP t1_jdmk6s9 wrote

This one might take me a bit, because I don’t know a whole lot about Anoriginal or Egyptian, but I will do it.

ZachTheLitchKing t1_jdmjnyz wrote

Persephone takes Cerberus for a walk

not_quite_graceful OP t1_jdmnxt1 wrote

“Come on, Cerbe!”

A sharp trio of loud barks answered the woman’s call, along with the pounding of heavy paws and rapid panting.

The speaker, a beautiful young woman with flowers woven into her dark hair and summery dress, turned back as a massive brown thing leaped over her head, tripped over its gigantic paws, and skidded into the ground.

She laughed as the. . . dog? What kind of dog had three heads? bounced back up and licked her face with its massive tongues. She reached up and scratched the middle head behind the ears. The left head growled at the middle, and the dog’s (dogs’?) owner gave it the same treatment. Then she pushed the other heads aside to pet the smallest, white where the others were brown with white spots. “Don’t be mean to your little brother,” she scolded the other heads, who lowered in shame, “He deserves love just as much as you do.

“Now!” She stepped back, smiling, and took off at a jog, the beast lumbering on behind her. “We have to be back home by six, all right? There’s plenty of time to go to the dog park, isn’t there?”

A trio of happy barks answered her question.

ZachTheLitchKing t1_jdmr7o8 wrote

This was adorable <3 I especially love that you went with a more colorful Cerberus than the usual solid black <3 And giving one of the heads a slightly different coloring was a marvelous touch! I wish we could see what Cerbe gets up to at the dog park xD

Thank you so much :D

_i_am_a_dragon_ t1_jdmtp1v wrote

Sometimes, the gods hire the services of legendary craftsmen. Sometimes, they just need a simple potter.

EvilNoobHacker t1_jdmmd4p wrote

Man tripa his way into being deified, completely on accident.

ArguesWithFrogs t1_jdmu0z7 wrote

The Storm God is prophesied to kill the Ocean Serpent. One problem: They're one & the same.

afdnzz t1_jdmypz1 wrote

You are but one of many lawers seeking some sort of class action suit from the gods. There is as much trouble from other law firms as there is from the gods in question.

No-Trick2389 t1_jdn20vm wrote

Hera finds an incredible hurt baby in a room in Olympus. This baby had extreme burns, almost like acid. She nurses it to health and cares for it, one day Zeus finds the baby boy with his wife, the baby looks like a spitting image of metis, as in his ex wife

GodKingChrist t1_jdn50qh wrote

With the help of an empathic child, the minotaur has been lead free from the labyrinth and weeps at the beauty of the world he has missed.

not_quite_graceful OP t1_jdna1bt wrote

“My name is Asterion. I am not a monster.”

A short pause, then,

“My name is Asterion. I am not a monster.”

Therion stilled, slowly sliding his bow off his shoulder.

“My name is- is Asterion.” The voice broke, interrupting itself with a soft sob. “I am not- I am not a monster.”

There’s someone else in here, Therion thought. He strung his bow with the ease of practiced fingers, and set an arrow to the string. He didn’t draw it, however; instead he summoned his courage.

“Asterion?” he whispered.

The labyrinth was silent. “W-who’s there?”

“My name is Therion,” he answered quietly. “Asterion is yours?”

He heard a low scraping sound, then the soft voice answered, “Yes?”

“How long have you been in here, Asterion?” Therion crept forward slowly, tightening his grip on the soft leather. “Are you alone?”

He could barely see in the blackness, but he could make out the hunched shape against the wall. It was. . . big. Very big. Bigger than a man, that was for sure.

His grip tightened. “Asterion?”

The shape shifted. Suddenly Therion had a terrible thought, one he didn’t want to voice but couldn’t help asking:

“Asterion, are you the Minotaur?”

Asterion wept, a hiccuping wail of grief and remorse and sorrow. “I-I’m a monster!” he wailed. “I’m a monster, Therion! A monster!

“My own mother thinks I’m a monster!”

Therion swallowed hard. “Asterion,” he said again, trying to ignore the frantic beating of his heart against his ribs.

“Are you scared of me, Therion? Are you scared?”

The boy was quiet for a long moment. “I. . . I don’t think so,” he answered slowly.

“It’s just- I’m so hungry, Therion, always so hungry! I can’t- I can’t control myself!” The Minotaur- no, Asterion wept louder. Therion flinched instinctively.

“I scare you, don’t I?”

Therion shook his head. “I’m not scared of you anymore. I don’t think you’ll hurt me.”

The shape moved closer to him. Therion held himself carefully still. Then he replaced the arrow in his quiver, unstrung his bow, and set it across his back again. “I don’t think you’ll hurt me,” he repeated.

“And I don’t think you want to hurt anyone else, either,” Therion continued. “I think you just want out.”

“I’ll hurt someone if I leave the labyrinth!” Asterion cried. “I- I hurt people!”

Therion’s vision sharpened slightly, and he gave a silent prayer of thanks to his mother.

Something darkened Asterion’s fur, seeping and dark. One of his horns was broken, hanging by a few sinews.

“People hurt you too,” he pointed out. “You’re bleeding.”

“I deserve it,” Asterion insisted miserably. “I hurt people.”

Therion was running out of words. How did he convince someone they didn’t deserve their suffering?

“I think the real monster is up there.” Therion pointed to the ceiling above them. “Minos.”

“He’s my father,” Asterion tried, but the words fell flat.

“What kind of father keeps his son locked up?” Therion shook his head. “I know a place. A wonderful place, I think you’d like it. You’ll be safe there. And it’s beautiful.”

He extended his hand. “Come with me,” he urged. “I’ll take you there.”

Asterion was still and silent for a long moment. Then-

“Okay.”

Therion smiled as a massive -but gentle- hand wrapped around his. “Let’s get you to your new home, Asterion.”

AutoModerator t1_jdm27lt wrote

Welcome to the Post! This is a [PM] Prompt Me.

Reminders:

>* All top-level comments should be prompts for the submitter to answer >* Prompt submission and comment rules still apply >* Prompts must be responded within six hours or this post will be removed >* No AI-generated reponses &#129302; >* Be civil in any feedback.

&#127381; New Here? &#9999; Writing Help? &#128226; News &#128172; Discord

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

DerG3n13 t1_jdn1809 wrote

When you learned you were related to Zeus, you thought he would stop.

He didnt.

So you had to bring out a few more extreme methods to get him to stay away

cobra_mist t1_jdnnzk3 wrote

The frog and the scorpion… but the frog has a few new tricks up it’s sleeve

Pokerfakes t1_jdnpc54 wrote

A will-o'-the-wisp (Celtic) takes a man to a secret place, revealing another lost traveler in need of help.

Gregamonster t1_jdnx3cx wrote

Actual Sirens are more like harpies than mermaids.

The image of a mermaid siren is propaganda to get people to let their guard down around the real sirens.

f---thezodiac t1_jdo1mq8 wrote

Ooh, I hope you don’t mind me giving multiple prompts, I love mythology

Hades giving a presentation to a mortal about how modern depictions of the Greek gods are absolutely terrible.

Thor gets super angry when Loki spills the tea about him “marrying an ice giant”.

Charon (Greek) explaining to new souls that Hades is VERY upset during the spring and summer

not_quite_graceful OP t1_jdoyd87 wrote

(I’ll do one per comment. And I’m starting with my absolute favorite that you posted, the third.)

“So. . . the god of death. . . is lovesick.”

Charon had to fight the urge to strangle this woman. Her tone was so freaking condescending, Charon (“of the infinite patience”, as his boss liked to call him) was on his last nerve.

And he didn’t even have nerves anymore!

“Lord Hades is the god of the dead, Ms. Karen, not the god of death itself,” he explained for the umpteenth time. “And yes. For half the year, Lord Hades is pinning for his lover, in Olympus.”

Karen raised an eyebrow. “And this effects me how?”

Charon of the infinite patience was about to punch a mortal woman’s soul in the face.

“It effects you,” he explained slowly, “because Lord Hades has a very short temper for people like you. People with your attitude, you self-centered cow. Now, get through the gate to Asphodel before I throw you to the depths of Tartarus myself.

Go. Now.”

Tigerstorm6 t1_jdoio7m wrote

Lucifer has to talk with the other pantheons’ gods of the underworld about how to best organize hell