Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Written_Wordsmith t1_jdlwd98 wrote

Once again, I had gotten away with a perfect heist. But there was no adrenaline rush. No excitement, no joy, no enthusiasm for this craft anymore. I tossed the jewel about, not a care that it was considered the "most expensive" one. I had heard that title too many times by this point, for all types of jewels.

With a exasperated sigh, I stuffed it into the jewel sack and then stuffed that into my backpack, slinging it over my shoulder as I stated down at the unsuspecting officers. Not once had they ever figured out how I was gaining access to the ever increasingly secured items. Not once were they just in time to catch me in the act. Not once had I left any trace behind. Not once had this proved to be a challenge for me. "I think I'm done. What used to be fun and exhilarating, just isn't anymore. This is too easy," I muttered as I dashed across the roofs, making my way out of this part of the city.

The disappearance of the crown jewel of some nation or other - I didn't bother to remember, they all start to look the same after a while - wasn't discovered until around midday the next day, only after the museum curator had decided to take a random stroll through that particular section. Of course, it was a big deal. But I didn't care. I already had my next target, as well as a plan on how I would be retiring - unlike the movies, where they like go out with a bang by stealing some grandiose thing, I didn't want to do that. I was going simple. A simple painting heist, but this time I'd leave a clue. But not to find me, a clue on how to start looking for the other stolen items I'd..."borrowed" over the years. Some I had sold off, but I still had a good collection of others. Of course, I'd include clues on how to find me eventually, but that would ultimately depend on the detective I planned on letting catch me, see how good he was, even if he was just a rookie.

After a few months of planning, setting things in position, and making sure everything was in order, I sent detective rookie (I didn't bother to find out his name when I chose him) the letter detailing my plans to nab the painting. He didn't disappoint me, thankfully. A perimeter around the building, a constant rolling patrol inside, and circling patrols on the roof and adjacent ones at regular intervals. I was impressed. Still wasn't enough, though. I managed to get the painting and slip out unnoticed. What happened next, now that was interesting.

In less that four hours, they had discovered that it was gone. And I like to assume that it didn't the rookie long to find my clue. He was a smart one, because he found all my clues, found most of the items I had kept, and found me within a month. Faster than I anticipated. I thought it would take him a few months, at least. He's gonna go far. And that brings me here, today, in this maximum security prison.

"Why tell me all this?" My cell mate asked, as he stood there, staring at me.

"No reason," I responded, "I just thought it was a fun story to tell."

"What will you do now?" He asked, leaning against his bunk and crossing his arms.

I simply glanced at him and gave him a wry smile, winking, before I lowered my head so the visor of my officers cap blocked my face, turning on my heel and heading for the cell block exit. "What will I do?" I repeated his question in my mind, "I think I'll go get my stuff back. Maybe see if I can make it harder for detective rookie to find me this time."