Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Korra_Sato t1_jdjjlki wrote

Goog was shocked when the email came in. She had been hired for a job she had applied for on a total lark. IT was no place for an orc and she knew it. In fact, out of the magical races, only the Elves and Fae seemed to be able to get 'normal' jobs in the human sector. Orcs, trolls, werewolves, and well, you get the idea, they got the mining jobs or the dangerous jobs where death was a much higher probability. So when Goog saw her application for a nice desk job at Magitek Corp. had been accepted, she almost tossed it out thinking it was a prank.

One phone call later told her it hadn't been. Goog was in fact the newest employee at Magitek Corp. working in their IT sector. The email confirmed she was to report to HR on Monday. Outside of her dark olive skin and fairly sharp teeth, Goog could have almost passed for human had she not been nearly seven feet and six inches tall. Her height had always been an issue, what with doorframes not really being designed for anyone over six and a half feet. Still she was going to put in some effort to try to look as good as she could.

She arrived at her new job promptly. She had dressed to flatter her appearance, but the clothing was also for function as it would allow her to move easily. She did her best to smile nicely as she softly shook hands with the head of HR who greeted her in the atrium.

"Good morning! Come to my office so we can get a few things squared away. Nothing major."

Goog nodded and smiled. Paperwork on the first day wasn't completely out of the ordinary and she followed swiftly. The office as nice, though the chair was a bit small. Goog made a note to make sure she had one for her height.

"So, first off, welcome. I bet you're wondering why we hired you."

Goog smiled at the young Elf. The androgyny of their appearance made Goog unsure which pronouns to use. "Why yes I am. Don't normally see Orcs getting hired in job like this."

"So. Funny story. I was in our hiring software and I was working on hiring candidates and well, no easy way to say it, but a typo put your name into the system and no one caught it before the hiring got filed."

Goog panicked a moment. "Does that mean I don't have a job here?"

"On the contrary. Your CV was flawless for the job. Let's get the details worked out Miss Goog."

issuesgrrrl t1_jdjqr11 wrote

My dude, I'm gonna need Chapters 2 through infinity! Break room shenanigans! Birthday funsies! End of Quarter reports! That one slob guy from Sales who needs a pointed reminder about keeping his greasy hands to himself...

mattswritingaccount OP t1_jdjpn4x wrote

Fake it til you make it never sounded so good. Now just show em what ya got, Goog! :D

Freebirde777 t1_jdk28gy wrote

Don't "Fake it 'till you make it". Work it until it works and that story works.

MechisX t1_jdl35qe wrote

But will the office splurge for the proper ergonomic chair for her desk?