Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Miaukeru t1_jdc5yl0 wrote

-=The Sovereign's Arrogance=-

- Knight to G6. How do you feel, Alfredo, when I tighten the noose around your king like you around our country?

President Amarante sighed and swept his gaze around the empty, richly gilded banquet hall.

- You are overconfident and arrogant, Luiz. Someday this will doom you. A bishop to B4. Check, my friend. Just don't get too high-strung.

General Paranhos twitched nervously on the extra seat cushion that allowed him to reach the chessboard on the table. His gold medals on his uniform rang ominously.

- Me arrogant? - he shouted. - Do you think I don't see what you are doing to our beautiful city? Kidnappings, deportations and unexplained disappearances. Our population is vanishing! Pawn on C3!

- Do you think we are behind all this? - replied Amarante in a more serious tone.

- Who else? We are a bloody enclave Alferdo! As far as the eye can see beyond our borders, we see you. It is no secret that we are a bone in your throat. A small one, but an annoying one.

- Don't flatter yourself Luiz. I only want friendly relations with my neighbours. You are no exception. - replied Amarante conciliatorily.

- Then where are these people? Have they been kidnapped by aliens? - The general slammed his fist angrily on the chessboard. The figurines began to swing dangerously.

- No, Luiz. You don't see your part in this. - replied Amarante, reaching for the queen figure. - Do you think people will put up with life under the boot of an authoritarian, complacent leader who doesn't give a damn about their opinions or their lives? They'd sooner flee to a friendly neighbour. Queen on H4, checkmate Luiz. It's over. You have lost.

After his last word, the door to the hall opened with a bang and the presidential guard rushed in, guns pointed at General Paranhos.

WC: 300