Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Toptossingtrotter t1_iuepbj1 wrote

The door chime rang with its usual Fingernails on a Blackboard ring that only sounded when -HE- came in. I didn't even have to look at the clock; it was 3:33 AM. He was always very punctual.

"Hello, Sir. The usual?"

This time the Demon sighed deeply. It was a hot and humid night but his exhalation dropped the temperature by 30 degrees. I was grateful for that, to be honest. Our AC unit was in dire need of replacement.

Well, this was a new development; He had barely spoken in the past and he seemed all business on his visits. I glanced up at him, his dark shadow swirled in the vague shape of a very large man. Occasionally I'd see glints of light in it, almost as if someone had tossed a handful of glitter into a tornado.

I didn't know what to say, so I said it. "Is everything okay, sir?"

He roiled/moved/drifted towards a stool at the bar. Suddenly the seat disappeared, replaced by a black cloud. I guess that's how a demon sits down in our world?

I had started to make his usual request, a Latte, light sugar. As was the case when he ordered, I burned my hand. I was used to this. I kept a dixie cup of water in the freezer for these moments.

"I'm sorry about that, Julie. I am trying to control things, but they don't always work the way I want them to."

I turned towards him, my eyes wide. He knew my name? "Of course. You're wearing a nametag." He could read my mind? "Yes, Julie, I can."

'Wow' was my next thought. At this the head-portion of the shadow seemed to chuckle.

I blushed. The demon leaned back and looked at me with what I assumed was a smile? On his face? "Yes, Julie. This is what I look like when I smile. Although I rarely smile. I'll let you know one thing that disturbs me tonight; I wish you'd stop calling me 'Sir'. 'Sir' is my father. I'm Garettazikiel. Pleased to meet you. I'd offer my handshake, but I would just burn you. Gary for short." He added.

"Gary. Well, nice to meet you too, sir. I mean, Gary. I'll try to remember not to call you 'sir' but I'm kinda sorta used to doing that. The big boss doesn't like it when we're too familiar." Here I added air quotes. "He says he wants a 'higher standard of service' for our 'guests'".

I couldn't help but roll my eyes multiple times.

Gary laughed at this, an honest and heartfelt belly laugh.

"Your boss and my boss might just be related" he said.

mistressdizzy t1_iufhypg wrote

Well, now I want Gary and Julie trading bad boss stories.

Toptossingtrotter t1_iufnj74 wrote

That's exactly what I was leaning towards.

Can you imagine? "My boss is an asshole!" Demon: "Oh, that's cute, Julie! Here's what I had to do this past week...."

Julie: "Oh? Well here's what I had to deal with this month...."

I picture a cool friendship developing between Julie and Gary.