Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_iu3319d wrote

Welcome to the Prompt! All top-level comments must be a story or poem. Reply here for other comments.

Reminders:

>* Stories at least 100 words. Poems, 30 but include "[Poem]" >* Responses don't have to fulfill every detail >* See Reality Fiction and Simple Prompts for stricter titles >* Be civil in any feedback and follow the rules

🆕 New Here? ✏ Writing Help? 📢 News 💬 Discord

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

DreamsOfDarkenedHope t1_iu34ziu wrote

When they made the bet neither expected the other to be any good at their roles, or for them to actually enjoy being in the other's shoes. But now it was a problem. First off because the knight Denis was low ranking and one of the worse at combat, and second off because Princess Rosaria was well known for being clumsy in a dress and unable to even try to follow table manners expected of her station.

So 'princess' Denis watched from a window as the real princess threw her sword like a throwing knife, half way across the training field and straight into an attacking beast with wonder. That was neither how one should handle a sword and greatly impressive that she nailed the beast from so far away. "Oops! My bad! I panicked!" He suddenly understood why her ladies in waiting didn't trust her with anything sharp, along with why the long never gave her a guard... "I think it's stuck... Can someone get me a knew one...?" He also feared the idea of her taking back her role after all that training was done...

On the other hand 'Knight' Rosaria watched confused as the real knight danced with her fiance perfectly and knew the difference between the five different forks and spoons, they all still looked the same to her honestly.

Two months after the switch when they met up at the dead of night to as agreed on switch back the knight immediately started off with. "My princess. I think I'm a woman... And I'm in love with the Prince you were supposed to marry." The confusion and anguish in his... Her...? Eyes made the princess feel for the confused soul.

"I feel the name way. Well no about the in love part... Or at least not with him. I never cared much for the guy... But I think I want to stay how we are. I like fighting people... And throwing swords. The captain said he'd teach me how to use a bow! A bow! On a horse!" The princess's excitement made the knight certain on this.

"We are never going back. Let's get the royal magician to turn us into each other. So no one as to know." Honestly this was probably safer for the kingdom in the long run anyways, the princess was to strong and would have probably started a war.

DreamsOfDarkenedHope t1_iu5x98h wrote

I imagine the magician is not happy. This was supposed to be a short one time thing after all. But now they pair wants to keep being eachother. He could loose his head for this. But at the same time you really can’t go against an order from a royal can you?

Crowzite t1_iu72nvt wrote

The knight; a young yet formidable foe, and the Princess; a cunning and clever ruler. Being around the same age, the two got pretty close. As often as they could, with their contrasting schedules both filled to the brim, they went to the Castle's cafe to catch up.

"New scars I see, hm?" the observant princess hummed before sipping her tea. The knight huffed, smile forming on his lips. "Ever so keen, my lady." He took a large sip of his coffee and looked at th princess. "You must be more careful, Mitos." He scoffed. "Careful? In my line of work? With all due respect, Princess Kyra, caution is a luxury only the safe receive." Kyra set down her cup gently with a 'clink' before shaking her head."What I would give to let loose and feel more than just boredom." Mitos pursed his lip into a frown, raising an eyebrow. "My lady, I would give anything to be 'bored' instead of afraid for my life day after day." Kyra thought for a moment, green eyes narrowing before lighting up with an idea. "Perhaps we should switch our roles for a day?" Mitos choked on his coffee. "You wouldn't last a day in my shoes, anyway." the princess grinned, and Mitos set down his cup once more. "I bet you can't last a week in mine!" he replied. "A bet it is! We disguise as eachother for a week, and see who lasts longest!" Mitos frowned as his blue eyes narrowed. "I could never say no to the princess." he paused." I suppose it's a deal." he continued. The two shook hands and after an hour or so of getting their disguises ready, they set out.

Mitos was slender and lean, so he could easily pass as a woman. Simply a wig, some padding, and makeup did the trick, which was the case for Kyra. As Mitos set foot in the palace doors, the servants bowed and looked down. Mitos simply walked by with his head high, set for the throne. He felt out of place a top the throne, but waved the servants off to continue their work. Before long a man in handcuffs was dragged in by a duo of knights. The man was scarred and bloody, rustling around and jerking his arms." let me go, rats!" he shouted. Mitos cleared his throat and breathed deeply, looking at the disheveled man at his feet. He turned to the knight on his left and the knight nodded. "this man is Alfred Wellhem, caught stealing and assaulting a bakery shop owner, my lady." Mitos looked down. He had a rather high pitched voice for a male, so all he had to do was speak a bit lighter than usual. "3 months in the dungeon," he continued, "and 300 dollars as compensation to the shop owner." the knights bowed as they dragged the man to the side. Mitos often brought criminals in, so he knew loosely how the princess ran things.

Kyra stepped outside onto the training grounds, a subtle grin on her face. It reeked of sweat and iron, a scent rather refreshing to her after smelling nothing but cloth and pastries for her whole life. She picked up a discarded sword and stepped over to the training ground. There stood a heavyset man with a claymore, and a smaller man getting up with the assistance of two others. Kyra concluded he had just lost a duel to the larger man. Kyra smiled an grinned at the man, stepping unto the elevated ground. Other knights looked in shock. "Mitos? You got a death wish or something?" Kyra disregarded the crowd and tapped the large man on the shoulder. She lowered her voice and greeted him. "Hello, would you like to duel?" the man turned with a frown, which was barely visible under his dark beard. He chuckled and turned fully. "Your loss, small fry" and just like that, he swung his claymore. Kyra lunged back with ease, and something inside her sparked. She grinned widely, laughing loudly. She just now realized how much she had itched for some action. Some thrill. The large man swung once more, and Kyra lunged forward, jumping onto the claymore and swinging at the man's helmet. He blocked surprisingly quickly, but Kyra swung downward onto the side of the claymore. The crowd stood silently as Kyra flipped to be behind the man, kicking behind his knee, successfully making him drop to the ground. He stood on his back with one foot, sword pointed at his neck. The crowd erupted with cheer, and Kyra stepped off, sweat dripping down her cheek. She panted as she tightly gripped the man's hand, pulling him up.

And just like that, time flew by. Mitos was enjoying the delicious pastries and effortless decision making, and Kyra was in love with the constant thrill of battle. But both realized time was up, and they had to switch. Meeting at the cafe, both were reluctant to admit the game had to end. After sharing lovely stories they shook hands and returned to boring daily work. But every so often, the played their game in secret.