Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TheeBdogg OP t1_iubkjbq wrote

"What advantages do four legs actually achieve?" Raleigh, a forest green mountain wyvern asks Albert, an orange and yellow dragon.

"Stability, strength, weight," Albert responds.

"How does weight come into this equation?" Raleigh questions.

"More weight, more strength" Albert answers. "Big deal, We breathe fire and fly."

"Giants," Albert says.

"light their feet on fire and they'll fall" Raleigh counters.

"Maybe, but giant's feet are surprisingly fire retardant"

Nickel, a sky-blue coastal wyvern chimes in "Only because of toe fungus". Nickel is off to the side trying to balance on a small boulder.

"Maybe it's hard for a dragon" Raleigh goads.

"Okay, now you're using baseless claims"

Raleigh responds "I can take down a dragon by myself".

Albert dismisses him "Frankly I don't care. Four legs give me more push off from the ground, more claws for attacking from above, and a generally more stable frame because of four points of contact."

Raleigh takes a moment but then responds with points of his own.

"Okay, Two legs make it easier for me to land on ledges, less weight so I can fly faster when in the air, and generally take up less space, making forest flying easier."

Felix a brown dragon laying on the ground, curled up, decides to ask "Why does this matter?"

"Who is the evolutionary apex?" Raleigh responds.

"We don't eat each other, I don't understand the reason you need to decide this" Felix counters.

"Why do we debate?" Raleigh asks rhetorically. "Why do we do sports?" Albert adds. "Why do we compete at all?" Raleigh adds. "One of us has to be better" Albert finishes. Raleigh nods in agreement.

stillnotelf t1_iubltu0 wrote

Eventually the wyvern gets drunk enough to tell the dragon that as hexapods they are descended from insects, unlike tetrapod wyverns descended from noble tyrannosaurs