Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

JustAnotherAviatrix t1_iy175a0 wrote

I try to employ all or most senses throughout the story when it comes to descriptions. I also do some planning before I write anything down so I can focus less on making up the plot as I go and more on telling it. Reading a lot and paying attention to what makes a story interesting to you is a good way to get writing examples.

If you're interested, you can dm me a part of a story if you have one and I can review it and give feedback. But it's up to you. :)

SlowCrates t1_iy17xzm wrote

My favorite author is Dean Koontz, and he is masterful at this. In any given "scene" you hear, see, or smell things that pull you in even deeper than you already were. I'm sure there are authors even better at this than he is, but he's the one I know and I couldn't agree with you more. On that note, thank you for the reminder. It's so easy to get stuck on pacing the structure of a story or getting caught up in pedantic details. The simple human experience is at the heart of all good writing.

Low-Difference8938 t1_iy1qlik wrote

Thank you so much! That’s helpful! And if u get a second I’d appreciate u checking out my story posted after this

Low-Difference8938 t1_iy1qave wrote

Hi Tysm I actually have a story as my most recent post it’d mean a lot if u check it out! And that’s great advice

xwhy t1_iy33bww wrote

Set the stage using two senses, if you can. Try for sounds and scents. It's a picture prompt so we can see, but you could try to describe something not obvious or describe another scene or memory it evokes.