Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

troutlegs1 t1_ivnx8to wrote

‘Only two?’ John asked, doing his best to add velvet to his voice.

‘Yep. Only two.’ The Genie replied.

‘Yes, but…’ John now stood at the edge of the cliff, looking down on the valley below, before turning abruptly to the Genie with his best pout. ‘Only… Two?’

‘Mhm. That’s what you get.’ The Genie said unfazed.

Spotting a mountain lion that had been laying in wait, John - putting aside the sudden realisation that he was being hunted - ran bold as brass towards the mountain lion. He jumped with almighty strength, his pectoral muscles tearing a V-neck in his shirt. The lion growled and howled as John wrestled it into submission. Holding the scruff of the animals neck and standing proud over his body, John lifted his head, flicking his long hair into the air and his new shaped chin forwards, and asked:

‘Only… Two?’

‘Only two.’ The Genie chimed. ‘Your charisma doesn’t work on me.’

‘Well, why not? What kind of Genie are you?’

‘Your charisma only works on people who don’t know who you truly are. As a Genie, I have clairvoyance. I know who you are, John. You’re a man who walked out on your wife and kids because life was hard; you’re a man who lies to avoid your problems; you are a man who stole from a charity shop. You, John, are not charismatic because you are not being honest.’

‘Geez, I didn’t wish for a life lesson. Ok. I admit it, but you still owe me two wishes. I wish for unlimited wealth.’

‘You know, money isn’t going to make your life easier.’

The Genie adopted a superior tone, folding its ghostly arms and looking down at John with mild scorn. It appeared he even adopted a golden glow, but that was just the sun setting behind him.

‘Nope, but not everyone has clairvoyance. I can live my life however I want with charisma and money.’ John replied.

‘Fine.’ The Genie said, snapping his fingers. ‘And your last wish?’

‘To suffer no consequence of my actions from here on out.’

The Genie looked upon John with a pensive eye, his breathing becoming shallower and shallower. There was something with the man in front of him that the Genie did not like. It was clear he could not be trusted. Was it right for me to grant this wish, the Genie wondered.

‘Ugliness often comes from within. Soon, it will claw its way out. I bid you farewell for now, John.’

And with a snap of his fingers, the Genie made an exit in the wind.

I write a chapter for two books and post them Tuesday and Thursday on my SubStack:

https://itsgottobedone.substack.com/

It’s early days, so I’m still working out the kinks.

GPedia t1_ivnypa9 wrote

A djinn considering morality is real pot-and-kettle business what with their penchant for playing with wishers.

Good story though

SnowMantra t1_ivol87o wrote

> ‘To suffer no consequence of my actions from here on out.’

Okay, done. Nobody will ever react to anything you say or do. Ever.

DomHE553 t1_ivom4e6 wrote

Damn that would be great! Setting him up for a loooooong road to eventually come back begging, searching for the genie

Landis963 t1_ivp77s8 wrote

To be ignored, in accordance with the terms of the wish. Probably willfully, given the genie's distaste, but still.

Junk4Brains t1_ivp6g12 wrote

Well there are two mildly better twists to his wishes you could play on. That both play on that.

Asking for unlimited wealth without clarifying or asking the origin of said wealth is a foolish act. John could be given a magical bank account that is linked too all accounts across the world. Whenever he uses this account it pulls money from random sources. Pulling money from world governments, crime organizations, billionaires, you name it his account can pull money directly from it and into his own.

The caveat is that this action is not done covertly at all so these people can look at their bank statement and see withdrawals from their accounts going directly to this guy name John something or other. Within a week John becomes the most wanted man in the world. Cartels wanting to murder him, governments wanting to apprehend him, oganizations wanting to capture him to learn how to managed to hack into all these accounts for their own personal gain.

He'll need every ounce of his charisma to survive being the worlds most hunted man.

On the flip side the reason this works is because he specifically requests to suffer no consequences for his ACTIONS. But inaction can have their consequences too. Its not just the things we do that have an effect on the world around us but also the things we choose NOT to do.

If I had to end this the story would end with John getting to live a few months or years with his newfound ease of living only to suddenly wake up in a dark room, tied naked to some kind of table. Standing over him is his ex-wife asking a dark figure in the room "Are you sure he won't die no matter what I do?" the figure reassures her "He will not die, he will not loose consciousness, he will feel everything you want him to feel and possibly more I imagine..."

The voice of the figure is familiar, it is that of the genie. The very same that granted him his wishes. He askes what is going on, he pleads with his wife using his supernatural charm...but like the genie she too knows who he truly is and her eyes hold no mercy in the tears that fall down her face. He is greeted with silence, the light clank of small metal objects... surgical tools... she looks up at him and smiles. A quiet but immense rage hidden in her soft expression.

"I'm going to cut you open John. Every surgery, every procedure our child had to endure without you, every medical intervention that could have saved his life..... I'm going to show you...You're going to see... you're going to feel...."

The scalpel pressed against the middle of his chest... she preseed hard but not hard enough. The dark figure speaking out from the shadows....

"That won't cut through the bone Alice, you have to use the saw..." The woman mutter a soft "Oh..." as she nodded to tone as casual as if she just realized she forgt her keys.

John them screams to the genie. "You liar... she can't do this.... you said I wouldn't suffer any consequences! She can't do this! You can't let her... you we agreed to no consequences...."

"For your actions." the genie interrupted. "Your actions John. The things you choose to do. But there are consequences for the things you choose NOT to do. For every time you chose not to tell the true, for every time you could have told your child you loved him, for everytime you could have consoled or comforted, for even with your infinite wealth not a penny was spared for your family... You didn't tell the true, you didn't love, you didn't console, you didn't help....those have consequences too John..."

The genie's voice was cold emotionless. Everything in the room was still, too still... a stillness broken by the revving of the bonesaw as its steel toothed wheel started to spin. A sound soon drowned out by his screaming, frantic, bloody, panicked, pained. Inhuman sounds coming from his body as they both just watched. He could feel his mind fog and cloud with pain but his consciousness never waivered.

She paused as the blade got caught. Panting and whimpering he pleaded her to stop, he begged, he apologized maybe for the first time in his life he truthfully and honestly apologized. But it fell on def ears as the saw started again.

Castlegardener t1_ivqyks4 wrote

By that point in time John would already be dead. Simply because drinking, moving etc are actions. Actions which don't lead to the desired outcomes anymore because there are no consequences to them.

E1lySym t1_ivroan0 wrote

That doesn't make sense. Isn't inaction still a form of action? His choice to ignore all those things still counts as an action that he consciously took. So there should be no consequences for turning a blind eye

TheDisapprovingBrit t1_ivscvvv wrote

I would have just had him die as a result of the third wish. No more consequences.

DarthMaw23 t1_ivov8ui wrote

I mean it could be argued that itself is a consequence, couldn't it? And if so, that wish becomes a paradox, doesn't it?

Strange_Bedfellow t1_ivoz76s wrote

That would have been the consequence of graining that power. From then on, no consequences would befall him.

DarthMaw23 t1_ivp27x6 wrote

My argument is "no consequences" (or more accurately, no reactions) itself is a consequence to every action.

starfyredragon t1_ivqeajl wrote

But wouldn't suffering nobody responding to him be a consequence of his bad wish making?

Castlegardener t1_ivqy5cr wrote

It's even worse than that. Without medical intervention John will die of dehydration after a few days because the action of drinking water now doesn't lead to the consequence of rehydration, the action of moving his limbs won't lead to the consequence of moving forward in space and so on. John is royally fucked.

SnowMantra t1_ivqygsz wrote

I didn't think of it like that. Everything has consequences, no matter how small you break it down. Maybe he just ceases to exist?

Dragonhaunt t1_ivsdw6l wrote

This is one part of the premise of The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, she can't leave her mark on anything in the world and people only remember her for as long as they are looking at her.

SnowMantra t1_ivtbdi4 wrote

That sounds terrible, and nice at the same time. I'm sure that life would be incredibly lonely

Demonologist013 t1_ivqff6b wrote

He then procedes to stab a government official to death on live tv

TheAero1221 t1_ivqygjp wrote

The only way not to experience consequences of one's actions is to no longer be alive, and/or be able to perceive them.

SomeRandomPyro t1_ivrfxis wrote

I took it as child support and alimony for the family he walked out on. That was a prior action, not one "from here on out".

Taeyx t1_ivrzmz6 wrote

yea he neglected to mention “negative consequences”. there are good consequences too. semantics, but that’s where genies live

GeneralLeoESQ t1_ivzopx7 wrote

To be even more pedantic, Physics doesn't affect him anymore and his body separates.

Loathsome_Diggersby t1_ivrtn8u wrote

New to this, why did the genie react that way to the last wish?

GPedia t1_ivrut4n wrote

Ok that one's easy, the wisher wasn't a very nice guy.

The traditional image of a djinn wouldn't have reacted in that way, they don't care about morals, usually. They are unknowable entities (sometimes called demons or devils or lesser gods depending on the specific myth) bound to grant the letter of any request made to them by a human in possession of their prison. They don't care about human morals or codes, and mostly will just try to find any way to subvert your desire while remaining true to their binding.

americangame t1_ivq7y8a wrote

Just remember folks, consequences aren't just negative, but are the results of any action you do or take.

John is going to be the most ignored person in the world.

aStringofNumbers t1_ivsea4k wrote

You know, moving could be considered a consequence of walking, and living could also be a consequence of breathing, so... John is not long for this world, I would wager.

EricCoon t1_ivooroi wrote

You should rename John to Elon 🤣

−9

[deleted] t1_ivpsk1o wrote

Do you find Elon Musk so charismatic that it seems supernatural?

starfyredragon t1_ivqedva wrote

How else do you think he got all that investor money to not build tubes?

ZionBane t1_ivoo0mo wrote

"Only Two?" she said with a coy smile and batting her dazzling ocean's deep eyes.

Letting out a huff "I am a genie! I file the laws of physics under fiction, and can bend the will of space time, and you think I would be affected by my own wishes, lets get something clear, that kind of nonsense is why we make peoples life miserable, as opposed to just showing up and giving random people a great life, most of you are ugly to the core, and a little more, and while I get that you were in a car accident, and wanted to look beautiful beyond measure due to a lifetime of being scarred and burned, know this... Nothing works on me.. I am near akin to a god, so.. what's number 2? Money? Wealth? Power? a pony? I think the oddest wish I ever granted was someone wanted a gingerbread man, that kid was odd, anyway.. so, what is your second wish"

Letting out a sigh "Your freedom" she said "I hear that is what most genies want, I mean, sure, money, power, wealth and all that would be great, but, I have a good life outside my injuries, so I really don't need anything else"

Shaking his head "No.. I am a being of immense power, I am not trapped in that lamp, and I am not bound to grant wishes, I do this because I kinda like it, and sometimes I get a winner, like the guy that wanted to be able to take care of as many dogs as he wanted, and ended up with something three million dogs and making a dog haven, or something, I love those kinds of off the cuff weird wishes. You are not the first to offer me freedom, but I love that sentiment as well so, tell you what, as opposed to wealth power, or anything else, I am going to grant you two wishes anyway, Your second Wish will be, you will heal any wound, any injury, anything that mars you, you will heal from so you will never risk losing your first wish"

She paused and ran her hand along her perfectly smooth face "I hadn't thought of that"

"Want it?"

"yes, very much so"

"Done! - Poof"

"Alright, so.. third wish is, you will always have enough money, anytime you need some extra cash to get a bill paid, or buy food, or anything, just reach into a pocket or your purse, and you will have the money you need, in the currency you need, it's like wealth without measure in installments, want it?" to which the Genie winked at her and let out a chuckle.

"Yes, again,. very much so"

"Poof - Done" the Genie said wiggling his fingers at her with a wink.

She smiled back, almost crying "Thank you, umm but what of your freedom? didn't I use a wish for that?"

"I am free, always have been, and now, you are too in a way, go home to your husband, I am sure he will be happy with your changes"

Smiling, nodding and almost running away with sight tears in her eyes, she went home.

Looking at the women leaving with a smile on his face "I love the ones with a good heart" then seeing someone yelling angerly into his phone at what sounds like an employee the Genie rubs his hands together with an evil grin, "This one should be fun"

articulatedWriter t1_ivpmez5 wrote

"So I can have any wish?" I raised my hand to my chin in thought holding the gold lamp billowing with smoke in the other.

"You can't wish for death, life or love but in contrast to all other possibilities it's practically infinite though of course more wishes are out of the question. The Genie crossed their purple smooth almost shimmery arms and gave a stern unwavering look, they'd probably been asked this 1000's of times and had gotten sick of repeating it.

"I wish for super natural Charisma." My eyes were wide with anticipation.

The Genie circles me in their smoke trail and stares deep into my soul the unfeeling weight of their gaze was deafening in it's silence. "That's a very dangerous ability, the last time I granted that you humans had your 2nd world war, had the instigator not been so Charismatic he would not have been the cause of so much death."

"Are you saying you won't grant it?" I couldn't hide my face of betrayal as it turned to a sneer.

"Of course not, but in all my centuries I find it beneficial to warn keepers of the lamp of the possible unintended harm they could cause. But if you're sure then take my vessel in hand and make your first wish." They gesture their deep purple hand to the lamp and cross their arms again giving their usual deadpan expression.

I hold the lamp in both hands and rub the lid, flecks of gold shimmer over the touched surface as I speak nervously. "I wish for Super Natural Charisma."

The Genie clicks their fingers and in an instant I'm consumed in a shimmery purplish pink smoke and find myself in exactly the same position feeling the same. "I don't... feel any different." I bring my hand to my head trying to feel any sign of change.

"Charisma is a state of mind you'll understand soon, now you have 2 wishes left." The genie once again crossed their arms patiently.

I feel my mind almost buzzing with a singular thought that hadn't occurred to me before, I put my hand down and speak to the genie staring directly up into its intense gaze "Only 2?"

They nodded. "Yes, as you may recall from the rules I stated a moment ago."

More new thoughts buzz to the surface of my mind and I couldn't help but feel it was right to say. "It's just the way you spoke of the rules, the last one feels out of place... Where exactly did these rules come from? Who sets them? Why must they be followed?" My expression is between fascination and thought.

"If you must know mortal the wish rules were set by previous wish makers who sacrificed their humanity just to prevent certain wishes and they became the only ones who could grant or wield the wish. The first was a boy in Bethlehem he wished no one could come back from the dead, created a religion on his mothers word as a virgin and started a religion in faith of his miracles, so now I cannot bring back the dead. Another wished for no one to wish for love so he'd be the soul decider of who may love another with his bow and arrow. As for wishing for death that was asked by what you may refer to as mother nature she wished for no death by my wishes so she became a force of a natural order, by granting life she also dooms that creature to die." The genie seemed quite into telling this tale, must not be every decade it gets to tell the story of why the rules are the way they are.

"And what of the no more wishes rule?" I watch intently.

"That is not a rule imposed by any mortal nor myself, it is but a limitation set by my creator. It knew if humans had too much it would destroy the very world they call home" the genie stared up into the clouds longfully.

Again my mind started buzzing with what it felt like was a perfect thought. "I wish to meet your creator,"

duelingThoughts t1_ivpt7hj wrote

Clever! Charisma isn't always about convincing people, sometimes it's convincing the right people. I also enjoyed the implication that because the charisma wasn't their own it essentially turned them into a puppet. Minor critique, I think the Mother Nature connection to death could use some work, I think that's the weakest of four tales.

Perhaps consider re-ordering it, as I feel like Mother Nature would be before the rest. Unless, the order isn't chronological but in order of precedence? I could see that.

articulatedWriter t1_ivpuoue wrote

Appreciate the input 😁

I'll be honest I completely forgot I set up a timeline with the Bethlehem introduction but I personally don't see mother nature as always personified more so it was always a thing and at some point was given a voice that being the mother of mother nature, so before she made the wish it was just the way of nature, because death has to exist for her to wish none could die by the genies wish right?

So nature was a thing and until it was given a voice it had no reason now nature has a voice of reason which is mother nature. If that made any sense? XD she'd decide whose life is more precious to save if it can, edit: or if death would be more merciful

FadeCrimson t1_ivrseuq wrote

Definitely gave the vibe that previous owners of the lamp effectively became god-like figures in their own rights through their wishes. Sets more intrigue and interest in the sheer scope of the genies abilities.

articulatedWriter t1_ivrsory wrote

Hoped that would build the world without going further in detail, Ty 😁

pfcalisesi t1_ivsdwq0 wrote

“No offense, but that's not fair,” objected Homer.

Aldrige rolled his eyes and made his way across the living room to the fruit bowl sitting on the kitchen table. Aldrige grabbed the bright green apple, that seemed to be calling his name. He was tired of Homer's constant complaints and often found himself wishing someone else had found the iPhone.

“Mmmm, what is this one called?” Aldriged asked as he bit into the green apple.

“....it's a granny smith apple...” Homer said bluntly as he crossed his arms over his chest.

“Really weird name...” said Aldrige as he plopped himself on the brown leather couch in the living room. Aldrige flung his feet over the left arm of the couch and laid his head on the right arm cushion.

“Get off my couch...you're not staying for long,” said Homer.

“Is this how you treat all your magical friends...no wonder you're a loner,” said Aldrige smiling and enjoying his apple.

“You told me if I would help you secure the crystal regalia, I would be granted five wishes! You lied and used me!” exclaimed Homer.

Aldrige sat upright and juggled the half eaten granny smith apple in his hand. He then threw it in the air. As the apple approached the ceiling it suddenly stopped and slowly floated down, as graceful as a feather. The apple landed comfortably on top of Aldrige's big red curly hair.

“Tah Dah! Now how many of your college buddies can do that!” said Aldrige excitedly.

“Leave!” yelled Homer pointing to the mahogany wood double doors.

Aldrige took the apple off his head and stood up. He looked seriously at Homer, Homer was obviously in no mood for his games.

“Look Homer, I didn't lie... we secured the thrown, ring and scepter...we needed the armilla and mantle...you failed to acquire that...you have only two wishes left...I am a fair Genie. You are lucky you unlocked me and not a Chiseler or worse a Svengali...those are the worse..” Aldrige shivered at the thought. Aldrige continued, “ We Genie come in different classes, as a Farceur, I am neutral, though mildly annoying...ok very annoying, our goal is not to hurt. I can't say the same about Opi.”

“Opi has done nothing but help, don't bring him into this! He's the only reason I was able to secure the crown and robe,” defended Homer.

“Yes...and that's what I'm worried about. He is a Chiseler, his blood can not be denied...anyway I don't want to get into that. Homer, the only way to get four more wishes is to secure the armilla and mantle. You only have two wishes left.”

Homer let out a large sigh and ran his fingers through his jet black hair, he was frustrated. Frustrated that he failed and frustrated that he couldn't get what he wanted with the wishes he had left. Homer left out another sigh and said “Ok...fine we're going back to the castle then.”

Aldrige's eyes opened wide and he nervously said “Are...you sure? It's going to take one of your wishes to do that and and there's no certainty we will succeed...”

“I have to....everyone is relying on me. Now that I have the gift of supernatural charisma, I may be able talk my way into the royal treasury. King Darian never suspected me as the thief...let's go,” said Homer as he grabbed his brown puffer coat on top of the kitchen table.

Homer put on his coat and reached into his left arm pocket. He pulled out his iphone and looked at Aldrige.

“Ahh not that thing again.....I never thought I'd say this, but I miss my lamp,” said Aldride as he placed his palms together and gave a short nod. Aldrige was then instantly transported in Homer's phone. Homer placed the phone in this pocket and quickly hurried out the marbled front doors.

TheThirteenShadows t1_ivtk06c wrote

"Only two?"

I smiled, staring deep into his eyes, one hand trailing his biceps. Blue eyes widened as he blushed, obviously trying hard to keep calm. I chuckled. How often did a handsome man get close to him like this? The lamp really seemed like a lonely place.

"Yes," he growled, managing to shake off the first attempt. No matter.

"Are you sure?" I asked. "Is an extra really too much to ask for?"

His hair was black, his skin pale. Too much time in that lamp, I thought. No matter.

"No-I mean, yes, it is," he gasped as I traced a line down his abdomen. I smiled. I had chanced upon a key spot. I continued my descent, occasionally looking up to see him staring in disbelief.

"And why is that? Why is it that you can't give me a few more?" I asked innocently. Nearby, my partner seemed to almost roar in laughter. His eyes twinkled in amusement. I tried not to barf as the genie stared with even wider eyes than before. So naïve.

"I-I..."

I cut him off, turning my back on him.

"Wait!" he begged. Well, maybe not begged per se, but close enough.

"What?" I said.

"...There may be a way for you to get more wishes," he muttered.

"And what's that?" I said, looking expectedly at the supernatural before me. It was only a second later that I noticed the knife sticking through my chest. I screamed, hastily removing the sword from my body. It was too late.

As I stumbled to the floor, I saw spots in my vision. Only two voices echoed through my mind.

"Sacrifice," the genie muttered.

AUTHOR NOTE: Not my best work. I was bored. What did you think?

AutoModerator t1_ivns6zj wrote

Welcome to the Prompt! All top-level comments must be a story or poem. Reply here for other comments.

Reminders:

>* Stories at least 100 words. Poems, 30 but include "[Poem]" >* Responses don't have to fulfill every detail >* See Reality Fiction and Simple Prompts for stricter titles >* Be civil in any feedback and follow the rules

🆕 New Here? ✏ Writing Help? 📢 News 💬 Discord

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.