Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ready-Ad3973 t1_iv6aic3 wrote

I throw the stone once again. This time it bounces off the water 5 times. I whoop in victory, a childish gleam in my eyes.
"Oh my, 5 jumps?"

I turn around so fast that my head starts spinning. After all this time humanity still hasn't found a cure for iron deficiency. I pray it's not her behind me. Sadly, faith has always failed me.

There she stands. The woman I spend an eternity hating. The woman who gave me this so-called gift. Her youthful face, with not even a single wrinkle on it. Her sickly green eyes and sharp smile. The wind is blowing her hair in her face, making her look like a character from a fairy tale.

"What do you want."

Her smile widens and she shakes her head.

"I simply wanted to check on you dear. Immortality gets boring sometimes."

"Wouldn't have guessed."

If my mother was still alive she would have scolded me for being mean. But she is not here now, is she?

"Are you still holding onto that stupid grudge? It has been almost 1000 years!"

"Stupid? You ruined my life!"

The witch's smile falls and there is an annoyed look in her eyes.

"You know, if you ever tried looking at it from the good side, you would have realized that immortality has its perks. If it didn't, humanity wouldn't be trying so hard to get to it."

"Humans are clueless creatures. Each one of them has dreamed of being immortal since they were little kids. Including me. But they don't realize how absolutely awful it is."

"Oh, darling, awful is a strong word to use. It's simply... unique."

I look away and bend down to pick up another stone. The stupid witch doesn't get it. I throw the stone with all my might and instead of jumping off the surface of the lake, it sinks down. I sigh and sit down on the sand.

I hear the witch giggle behind me and a few seconds later she is right next to me on the sand.

"You know, after all this time you never told me why you chose to turn me."

I turn to her and there is a faraway look in her eyes.

"I was just lonely."

And those words surprisingly don't shock me. I can't say I didn't expect that.

"But I was dying when you came to me."

"Exactly Bianca. I was with Lady Death when she was supposed to come and get you. And I saw it in her lists. Your heart was pure and kind. So I chose to save you from her. I needed a friend and you needed saving."

She laughs humorlessly.

"At the time I didn't realize I was dooming you."