Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FoodIsGoodForYou t1_iwewboc wrote

I froze when I heard the general shout.

I slowly turned to look at the man, a towering wall of muscle and opulence. He was covered in medals that didn't actually exist, and his armor was covered in awful points.

He wasn't even picturesque!

"Um, me?" I asked.

"Yes you! Go get your armor and get in line!" He shouted at me.

I nodded and went to the supply tent to grab my armor. What I was provided was almost as awful as what the general had, but with much less flair. It was still impractical.

will be visiting us, so make sure to be perfect."

I stayed in rank and waited for the royals to be here, hoping that I wouldn't be recognized by anyone.

When Roza and her father walked down the lines, I couldn't help but notice that her movements were more stiff than usual. I almost betrayed my disguise, but my acting was impeccable. I stayed still.

I felt a gaze on me, so I moved my eyes to see its origin.

A nod from the King.

I knew that I was spotted, but my father-in-law was different. He knew that he would be the only one to spot me, as he was looking for how I would fit in his assignment.

They moved out of my hearing and I had to endure the training that the other soldiers had to endure.

A little after noon the exercises were postponed for lunch and we were able to take off our armor. I snapped my fingers after taking off my gauntlets and I felt the familiar tug of magic from the fae as they pulled me away from the soldiers and brought me to a carriage, leaving my equipment.

I curled up on the floor, trying to face how awful that made me feel to lie in the face of so many people just to prove something.

I'm just glad that Roza and her father both loved me as part of their family. With that final thought, I drifted off into a troubled sleep.