Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Drakolf t1_iwfrl03 wrote

There were always those who tried to abuse their positions within my army, who ruled through fear where respect and camaraderie would better suffice. The lower-ranked general regarded me with an icy stare as he repeated his question, "Why are you just standing there, and where is your uniform!?"

He stank of corruption, and not the kind I preferred. I admittedly didn't have the time nor the energy for the small details, trusting that my Thirteen would take care of problems as they came up.

Still, it is on occasion worthwhile to investigate yourself.

I immediately straightened up and delivered a sharp, crisp salute. "Apologies, sir, I was just returning from a plainclothes operation and needed a moment to gather my thoughts for my report." Eh, some minor bullshit never hurt. The General couldn't hurt me in the long term, certainly he could harm me, but outright killing me would just result in me possessing his body.

"Give your report then." He said.

Let's see, of the top of my head, I knew of some need-to-know details that not many did know about. "My investigation regarding the embezzlement of Imperial funds has revealed that there are some lower-ranked generals who are funneling money into non-regulation activities, sir." I replied.

It was easy to play the part of a low-rank soldier, back when I'd started my unholy crusade against the corrupt Gods of the world, I'd regarded my army as my equals, wore the same armor as them, showed the same decorum, proved to them that unlike those who squandered their fertile lands, I was going to treat them with respect, and had stressed the importance of this throughout the ranks as we grew larger.

"Is that so?" The general pulled the gun on me faster than I could react, but the moment the bullet pierced my skull, I'd already shunted his soul from his body, using it as the fuel for the adjustment of my new body into my usual, preferred form.

The few others who had been present immediately knelt once they realized who I was and what was going on. I briefly regarded the gun and holstered it. I was going to need a new general, but for the time being, I was willing to manage affairs here, at least until I absolutely needed to leave.

"You ten." I said, imbuing them with a fragment of Command. "Order the other generals to convene on the chapel, I have a few traitors to execute."

"Yes, my Lord!" They called out before hurrying to fulfill my desires. I briefly considered the armor I was currently wearing and used the remains of the general's soul to make it look like footsoldier armor.

As the Demon Lord, I had to set an example, otherwise the ambitious would tear my Empire apart. What better way to put them in their place than wearing the very armor they thought themselves superior to?