Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ablynkd t1_iy6pho2 wrote

How could I not know about half of the transactions that happened under my nose? Yeah, the last part left a bitter taste in my mouth as I changed back into more… proper attires before asking one of the soldiers to tell the general to meet me at my desk. The day left me not really exhausted, since it wasn’t that hard, but the constant screaming in my ears, the bags of so many different things and the demons here for ‘’me’’ I didn’t quite like it, as much as I couldn't care less about having a good image. I rule the underworld after all. I could hardly be an angel anymore. A knock at my door and a kneeling general soon after, he didn’t even look me in the eyes yet. I rest my head against my hand as my red eyes pierce through the fiber of the man in front of me, contemplating the moment he would hear my voice.

- Do you know why I asked you today?

- I am at your ser-... YOU!? What are? What?

He stood up quickly, shocked at the big reveal as I couldn’t help my laugh from pouring out this time. He kneeled again, so low it was quite sad.

- Please stand up. So, did you like our encounter? Was I a good recruit?

- I-I… He stuttered as he stood up again, slowly, without making eye contact.You were excellent my king. I am so sorry, I didn’t recognize you.

- So you bad mouthed me to your little recruit to scare them? Do you even believe those rumors?

-No. Of course not!

- No? So you don’t think I would punish you severely for this little… confusion?

My eyebrow were raised as I took a disappointed look, as if to say it was the wrong answer. I could see the sweat pouring out of his thick leather like skin. Let’s just say demons didn’t sweat often anymore.

I meant yes! I believe it!

YES!? You believe I am a hungry bloodthirsty beast who ravages even my own kind for fun?

No! Yes! I-.. He went back into kneeling down, tears visible in the corner of his eyes, I am sorry, I will make up for my errors, please spare me…

Stand up, I said before approaching the pleading man as he stood up. Look me in the eyes.

His eyes slowly met mine as I channeled all the authority I had in me to make it believable I was pissed. And who wanted to see a demon angry.

- I guess there’s only one thing left for me to do with you…

- Please… he said before seeing my hand in waiting for a handshake. wha-...

- Hi, I am Lucifer, the demon king. Thank you for taking care of training recruits and for the fun day I had in a long while. I was just messing with you.

He slowly, cautiously shook my hand as I pull him closer to me to calmly whisper in his ear:

- But the beast can come up if you shit talk about me. Try to draw the line at fear and not ridicule, okay? I let him go before returning to my desk. So, I’ll need you for something in fact, take it as a punishment if you want, but I need you to do an inventory of everything that comes and goes on a regular basis, who uses what in the castle and has it by the end of next month. If I see things that are not on the list, I might not be as kind and gentle, understood?

- Y-yes your highness.

- Please, call me Lucifer. Titles like this are worthless in this world.