Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Living-Temporary-665 t1_iycod3z wrote

“It’s the 10 year anniversary of the brutal lake view apartment massacre.” I turned the TV off out of habit. It’s been 10 years since 10% of the population suddenly got telepathic powers. It’s also been 10 years since the massacre that happened in my old apartment building. For 10 years I tried to forget what happened. For 10 years I lived in a remote island, away from the telepaths. I yearned to share that beautiful sight with them, to it share with the world. When I close my eyes I could see it. An art work that had achieved perfection. Something no human can ever hope to create. I never realised whether it was gift or curse. But I knew that I had to put an end to it.

There were many who tried to find me. But no one was as persistent as the first telepathic journalist to cover the incident. After 10 years she had finally found me.

“Today, I will be able to see it again.” I said to myself, as I heard the footsteps outside. I grabbed my gun, my heart beat quickened with a mix of expectation, anxiety and euphoria.

I stood near the door and waited for her telepathic range to reach me. I could feel her telepathy searching my brain. I could feel all her thoughts as she felt mine. She was looking through my memories. The memories of my childhood, then my teenage years until she found that night. A group of teenage telepath’s accidentally linking all the brains of the residents of the lake view apartment. It was an enlightening experience. To know that everyone was going through something. That everyone had secrets. It was peaceful.It was until they awakened that thing inside my brain. A remnant of a being out of our understanding, sealed inside the psyche of an ordinary human. She saw it too. She saw perfection beyond human comprehension and she how the sight of that being turned humans into ashes. It was too late. She had seen it and she knew her life was going to end.
It never harmed me and I always felt a feeling of devotion and bliss upon seeing it. “I’m sorry. I just needed to see it one last time.” I told to what remained of my nemesis, as I pulled the trigger, falling into its embrace.