Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MaryMary8249 t1_iy9w4gn wrote

"Hi there. Are you Dora's father?"

"Yes. I am."

The voice shocked me. I recognized it but couldn't place it. And then, I realized, it was the voice of Whirlpool. Whirlpool was my nemesis, a man with a tragic backstory, a villain who became a supervillain after his wife died in a villain plot gone wrong. I couldn't sympathize with him, much, but I didn't know he had a child.

I hoped he didn't recognize me. I used a voice modifier in my suit. I could only hope that it worked.

"Daddy! Miss Kitty taught me about -- about -- " Dora struggled to pronounce "somersaulting".

"Kitty? You call her by her first name?" he asked, picking up his 4-year-old daughter.

"I'm an assistant teacher. It's technically only a part time position. Besides, it's a Gym School, you really expected her to call everyone like it's Eton and Cambridge?" Darn it. Using my knowledge of the latest incident! And, with her calling me "Kitty", who knew. He might guess that I was Kitty the superhero.

"I'm dropping you off at grandma's, okay? Daddy has something this evening."

He climbed into the car. Hopefully he was none the wiser.

Before my date, I hoped to work on trying to solve the identity of someone known only as The Mercenary. They transmitted information from heroes to villains (and vice versa). I was stuck. I decided to freshen up. My sister had set me up with a colleague from work. I hoped he was a nice guy.

I arrived at Olive Garden -- What? It's my favorite place! I even have a sponsorship from them! -- and leaned over my steering wheel for a moment, trying to see if my sister was there. Nope. She wasn't. No luck. I really hoped she'd be there to introduce us. But she was rarely ever there when I had free time, because she had a "busy job" that paid a lot of money. I suspected she was some mercenary kind of girl. Or a bounty hunter.

I received a text from Wilma. "He said he's arrived. Where the heck are you?"

I almost ran in.

"Hi. There's someone here waiting for me." The hostess led me to the table, where a 28-year-old gentleman was sitting waiting for me.

"I'm Peter. I never really introduced myself to you earlier."

"I'm Kitty. Well, you know that, your daughter mentioned it."

"I am told your sister is your matchmaker."

"Yes. So, Peter, sorry for bringing you here. It's my absolute favorite place. Willie suggested it."

"No problem. It's also affordable. I work -- well -- I don't exactly have the nicest job."

"You're talking to a girl who does part time teaching gymnastics to toddles."

"Who also gets sponsored by Olive Garden.

"Leave it to Willie with the jokes. They don't need to pay me to eat here."

"No. I'm serious."

"Why would I -- a gym teacher -- have a sponsorship?"

"Didn't the Merc tell you?"

"What?"

"That --"

" -- No. Not that. Did you say the Mercenary knows about our date?"

"Didn't the Mercenary set us up?"

"No my -- sister -- oh, dammit, Willie. You little liar."

Anyways, that's how I "fixed" your dad, Vortex. And, I guess, became your stepmom Come on, now. We're going to be late to stop this supervillain!

​

EDIT: Thanks for 32 Upvotes! I take it y'all like a happy love story.