Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_ixjrnl3 wrote

The sun shines through the window, the annoying beeping of the alarm blaring in my ear. Wait, I don't use an alarm clock. I look at the phone and the time reads 6:14 a.m. The sheets of the bed are a blinding pink, far from my preference of pale gray. The walls are splattered with colorful, cartoon flowers. I know this room. The window is covered in sun-drained curtains. The name Ellie is painted in bubble letters. Ellie Carter. The girl who used to be my friend. She left the state last year.

I grab her phone and let my finger tips paint in the password. I go straight to her messages and type in my name to see if she kept my contact. The photo of my real face smiles back at me, my then flat and dull green hair of the past reflecting to me. Ellie's hair, or I guess my hair, is frizzed and a rich brown. It frames the outskirts of my vision.

I type in a message, seeing if anybody would answer back. Three dots pop back in the bottom of the screen. A message appears. "Lizzy? This you?"

My name...

"Ellie? Yea, it's Lizzy." I type back. More dots come back. I wait. The dots disappear. I find myself hoping the person in my body responds.

"It's Ellie...good to talk with you again. Why is there a reminder for a test today...why did we have to switch today."

My heart rate goes up, finals start today.

"Finals- you BETTER pass for me. I'll march right back to my house if you don't and murder you myself," I type in with sweating hands.

More dots come back onto the screen as a notification comes down from the top of her screen. 2% left. She better hurry up typing. The message page keeps the dots up. 1%...

"No, no..." I mutter to myself, not expecting Ellie's voice coming out instead of mine. I frantically looking around the room for her charger, no cord in sight. The message finally comes up, and just as it does the screen goes black as her phone dies...