Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Alexreddit103 t1_j0ovri7 wrote

I do not agree, see, sometimes people are just unredeemable, and James is a lost cause, a douche and a massive prick, so good riddance James!

[deleted] OP t1_j0puwhg wrote

[deleted]

Phenoix512 t1_j0qn49c wrote

Agreed I have met people who don't want to be redeemed they are happy manipulating people and using them

Malaeveolent_Bunny t1_j0so3ea wrote

It's not so much that people are irredeemable, as people failing to recognise redemption has a cost in time and energy. Lots of people don't have enough lifespan or effort left for redemption to be a realistic option.

There is also the opportunity cost. Sure, the world is richer when we turn enemies into friends, but there's always the risk of further harm when someone on the path of redemption decides to inflict pain instead of continuing to rebuild. It's a cost/benefit analysis written in blood and suffering.

electricdwarf t1_j0pnb3z wrote

This is why the character development over the course of three books is so good. You dislike James initially and pardon my spoiler but eventually he gets resurrected as an undead servant of one the later antagonists. James has to do some gnarly shit but eventually he by chance loses his connection to his master and gains self control. Eventually he saves some fan favorites and joins with them for awhile before valiantly sacrificing himself to save a lot of people.

It was a sad ending to be sure, but he was deeply unsatisfied with his new undead form, so he was okay truly in the end.