Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sane-writing t1_j1ukbnz wrote

It was a regular day for me. I just left the cinema where I watched a movie with my new boyfriend. He was an office worker, with some martial arts skills he learned during school. One of his hobbies was muscle training, so he was pretty strong, skilled and pretty much perfect for the role of my sidekick. We wanted to go to a café next, but then we heard screams. He knew just as well as I did that I had work to do, so we started running. I don't even know why, but since he knew my secret hero identity, he always followed me to the battle. I was glad for it. More than once he kept some henchmen busy while I fought the boss, Recently I found the thrill of playing the Damsel in distress. You know, playing weak for a moment, letting him be the hero who saves me in the last minute before I can focus again and finish the actual fight. And our celebrations afterwards, usually in my flat, are always a pleasure, if you catch my drift. But this day was supposed to be different.

We arrived at the battlefield. A man was using some kind of telekinetic powers to attack a bank, the security guards were flying around, and he already tried to escape with the money. I caught a few guards with pillows of compressed air - that's my thing, I can shape and move air however I like - and built a wall of pressure to stop him. A car was suddenly thrown through the air, hitting a building to my right. It was far too heavy to be stopped by my power, but it didn't hit anybody directly. A few fragments from the building started to fall down, threatening to hit a woman, but my boyfriend jumped over, pushed her aside and managed to dodge the rock himself. I should have paid more attention because I didn't see what was happening in front of me before it was too late. Another car was flying towards me, like literally to my position. My first instinct was to stop it with air pressure. But just like the last one, it was too heavy, my ability didn't even slow it down. Of course, I thought that's it, I was about to lose. Then I saw a movement in the corner of my eye, my boyfriend rushing towards me.

I had closed my eyes, expecting the pain. Instead, the noise of crushing metal surrounded me. I hesitated, but managed to open my eyes to a scene I couldn't have imagined. In front of me was my boyfriend. But he was hovering a few feet above the ground, the car bent around his back. It looked like it hit him, but he was stronger.

"K… Kyle?" I asked in surprise.

He winked at me and said: "I guess the cat's out of the bag now."

Then his clothes changed, as if they were fluid. His casual jeans and shirt became something familiar, yet different. A black and gray version of a suit I knew from history books, with an emblem on his chest that nobody dared to wear for the last twenty years: A flaming rock with a trail of smoke and flames. The rock was gray, just like the original, but this version featured blue flames instead of the original, orange ones. Despite the color variations and the missing cape, it was obvious that he attempted to resemble the costume of Meteor.

With a casual gesture, he shook the car off his back. Then he slowly turned around to face the villain, who started to laugh. "Are you stupid or brave to wear that icon? With as young as you are, were you even born when the Meteor died?"

"I was four years old when he got killed", my boyfriend answered. That sentence hit me like a hammer. He once told me that his father died when he was four.

"And you think you're powerful enough to earn that icon?"

"Let me see. You're using gravitational forces, aren't you?" He spread his arms in different directions, pointing at multiple car wrecks and rocks broken from the walls. "With that, you can counter gravity…" The objects he pointed at suddenly started to hover. "You can enhance gravity…" One of the cars fell to the ground, with such force that it was pushed together, like in a scrap press. "And of course, you can redirect it…" The remaining parts he kept in the air suddenly accelerated towards the villain, who barely managed to dodge them before they crushed through my wall of pressure. Kyle, almost bored, continued his speech. "That ability might become useful, thanks for that. And to answer your question. I'm not just powerful. I'm Power!"

Faster than anything else I've ever seen, he jetted forward towards the villain. For most people, it might have looked like teleportation, and I was only able to follow it because my power allowed me to feel the air movement he caused. I needed a moment to understand what happened: His fist pierced through the villain's armor, hit his belly and knocked him out right away.

A woman stepped beside me and helped me back onto my feet. I didn't even notice that I fell down on my knees. When I looked up, I recognized my boyfriends mother right away. "After all these years", she started to speak while looking at him, "he finally chose to reveal himself. I'm so proud right now." Then she turned to me. "And that's thanks to you. Dinner at 8. It's time to really welcome you to the family", she said, smiling, before a black fog covered her, and she disappeared.

Accidentally, I created a whole Family of Superheroes. Want to know more? Meet the Morrison-Family and their friends and read about up's and down's in their life. You'll find this story on that index too, I call it "his new Girlfriend".

I hope you enjoyed reading it :-)

Mr_PizzaCat OP t1_j1uq6lm wrote

I’m not familiar with with your previous works as I am new to the writing side of Reddit but I really enjoyed this! Thanks for using my self indulgent prompt. ( :D )

sane-writing t1_j1ur3vw wrote

I hope you don't mind me picking up the prompt and basically derailing it in the third paragraph :-D

Mr_PizzaCat OP t1_j1us183 wrote

No worries that’s what prompts are for after all. I enjoyed it regardless.

xlXlGingerlXlx t1_j1uumss wrote

As always I love the material you write and come up with. You really know how to paint a picture with your words. I loved the surprise twist on the boyfriends identity. As I started recognizing certain key aspects I was hoping there was a connection.